Applied Science Manager
- Sunnyvale, CA
Alexa's Wakeword & Device Invocations team is looking for an Applied Science Manager to build speech and language solutions for the Alexa built-in devices.
Applied Science Manager in wakeword will lead a team of scientists to initiate and work on key initiatives for developing and advancing world-leading wakeword and embedded ML technology for any voice-driven Alexa end-point. The goal is to achieve unmatched wakeword recognition accuracy for any device - low CPU/memory footprint - in any acoustic environment, for any speaker, and under challenging noise conditions such as barge-in.
We are looking for a leader with strong technical experience, demonstrated progression of management scope, and a passion for managing Science talent in a fast-paced environment. In addition to technical depth, you must possess exceptional project management and communication skills, and understand how to coach a team. As a Science leader you will:
• Manage and mentor other scientists and engineers, review and guide their work, help develop roadmaps for the team and provide coaching for career development
• Contribute directly to our growth by hiring smart and motivated Scientists and managers to establish teams that can deliver swiftly and predictably, adjusting in an agile fashion to deliver what our customers need.
• Work closely with other teams across Alexa to deliver features that require cross-team leadership.
• Represent your business and operations to the highest level of leadership within Amazon.
If you are looking for a challenging and innovative role where you can solve important problems while growing as a leader, this may be the place for you.
• Graduate degree (MS) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Mathematics.
• More than 6 years of industrial/academic experience in data science, machine learning or a related field.
• Demonstrated use of modeling and optimization techniques tailored to meet business needs.
• Experience with leadership of experienced scientists as well as a record of developing junior members from academia/industry to a career track in a business environment.
• Familiar with programming languages such as C/C++, Java, Perl or Python
• PhD with specialization in speech recognition and machine learning.
• Strong publication record.
• Strong software design and development skills.
• Experience working effectively with science, data processing, and software engineering teams.
• Proven track record of innovation and advancing the state of the art.
• Entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong architectural and problem solving skills.
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
Back to top