Applied Research Scientist
The Team: Amazon Go is a new kind of store with no lines and no checkout—you just grab and go! Customers simply use the Amazon Go app to enter the store, take what they want from our selection of fresh, delicious meals and grocery essentials, and go!
Our checkout-free shopping experience is made possible by our Just Walk Out Technology, which automatically detects when products are taken from or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in a virtual cart. When you're done shopping, you can just leave the store. Shortly after, we'll charge your Amazon account and send you a receipt. Check it out at amazon.com/go. Designed and custom-built by Amazonians, our Just Walk Out Technology uses a variety of technologies including computer vision, sensor fusion, and advanced machine learning. Innovation is part of our DNA! Our goal is to be Earths' most customer centric company and we are just getting started. We need people who want to join an ambitious program that continues to push the state of the art in computer vision, machine learning, distributed systems and hardware design.
The Role: Everyone on the team needs to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment that's more startup than big company. We'll need to tackle problems that span a variety of domains: computer vision, image recognition, machine learning, real-time and distributed systems.
As a Computer Vision Research Scientist, you will help solve a variety of technical challenges and mentor other engineers. Given that this is an early-stage initiative, you will play an active role in translating business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables and build quick prototypes or proofs of concept in partnership with other technology leaders within the team. You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and given the size of this initiative, you'll have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams at Amazon in different locations. You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that's higher than most projects and relish the idea of solving problems that, frankly, haven't been solved at scale before - anywhere. Along the way, we guarantee that you'll learn a ton, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people.
- · PhD required in computer vision, machine learning, or related discipline
- · · Depth and breadth in state-of-the-art computer vision and machine learning technologies
- · · Publications at top-tier peer-reviewed conferences or journals
- · · Proven track record of innovation in creating novel algorithms and advancing the state of the art
- · · Ability to develop practical solutions to complex problems
- · · Strong communication and collaboration skills
- · · Proficiency in C/C++, python, and/or matlab
- · Experience with designing and building large-scale systems in a multi-tiered, distributed environment (Service Oriented Architecture).
- · · Understanding of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and project planning/execution skills including estimating and scheduling.
- · · Experience optimizing for short term execution while planning for long term technical capabilities. Ability and willingness to multi-task and learn new technologies quickly.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top