Amazon Web Services-Database Engineer - Redshift
Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. With AWS, you can requisition compute power, storage, and other services – paying as you go for only the resources you need. Amazon Redshift is rapidly growing, fast and powerful, fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse service in the cloud. It enables customers to dramatically increase their query performance when analyzing virtually any size data set using the same SQL-based business intelligence tools they use today. Amazon Redshift manages all the work needed to set up, operate, and scale a data warehouse, from provisioning capacity and installing software to monitoring and backing up the cluster, to applying patches and upgrades. By automating these labor-intensive tasks, Amazon Redshift enables customers to spend their time focusing on their data and business insights, rather than on procuring and managing infrastructure.
Joining the Amazon Redshift team gives you the opportunity to:
- Solve challenging problems that will revolutionize database computing in the cloud
- Build a quality product that will leverage the scale of resources available in the cloud
- Work for a company that's a recognized leader in the cloud computing space
- Be involved in the fast growing, big data space
We are looking for database engineers that are passionate about relational databases and love to work with customers to help them with database design, usage and troubleshooting. We expect candidates to have:
- knowledge of database systems theory
- working knowledge of relational databases design and usage
- good coding skills
- a sense for how distributed systems work in practice and their limitations
- experience building and administering production databases
- excellent troubleshooting skills
- the ability and desire to learn new technologies quickly
- 15+ years experience working on large scale systems and databases
- Excelent working knowledge of UNIX
- Excelent problem diagnosis skills
- Experience troubleshooting applications and system performance and complex, production software issues
- Ability to automate tasks, write scripts, and even build tools as needed to make the job simples
- Ability to benchmark products and contrast the various behaviors
- Development skills are highly desirable
- Ability to do performance analysis and get deep into root cause analysis
- Experience executing and interpreting results from database performance benchmarks.
- Ability to tune databases based on explain plans overall system behavior. Ability to tune complex workloads.
- Ability to drive tasks to completion and take ownership of projects
- Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
- Possess excellent communication skills and experience working with external customers (both technical and non-technical audiences).
- Masters in Computer Science or Engineering
- Experience administering large database fleets a plus (>1000)
- Advanced SQL coding, tuning and query optimization
- Knowlege of database internals as it relates to query and system peformance and tuning
- Understanding of overall system architecture, scalability, reliability, and performance in a database environment
- Experience designing and leading database performance benchmarks.
- Experience with large-scale data analytics and data warehousing
- Strong development background, strong coding skills
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top