Amazon- Software Development Manager
- Sunnyvale, CA
Would you like to lead a team of software development engineers to build Amazon.com's browse and search features that impact millions of people per day? Come join us! You will enjoy working with supportive colleagues and business leaders who are devoted to helping you learn new skills and grow your career!
The Amazon Browse Classification team is seeking an experienced Software Development Manager for leading initiatives in Product Classification. We are expanding to the Bay Area for the first time in this space and are looking for an entrepreneurial leader scaling the domain. The problem space consists on developing systems capable of classifying all products into the Amazon Catalog at high precision, scaling across marketplaces and languages. You will lead a team of Software Engineers and work closely with Applied Scientists to build distributed systems that are partially or entirely powered by AI and ML. Your team will build solutions ranging from automatic product classification, detection of misclassified items, scaling human tasks through active learning, building applications for analyzing product composition, mining product signals such as images, text and unstructured data to drive true understanding of product knowledge. Our systems also target understanding of customer traffic to ensure we are building the best Taxonomy for organizing the Catalog. Our mission is to ensure that customers browsing or searching always find the right products in the right destinations for navigation and discovery purposes.
This role requires hiring and expanding an engineering team to work with cutting edge machine learning, natural language processing and artificial intelligence. You and your team will be always looking to deploy creative solutions to real world problems. Your developments are directly related to Amazon's Browse and Search experiences and impact millions of customers.
The ideal candidate has managed teams productionizing ML-based systems in one or several of the following fields: Web search, Deep Neural Networks, Classification Systems, Clustering, Natural Language Processing, Personalization, Artificial Intelligence. A successful candidate will have an established background in building innovative systems from inception to production, scaling systems with large data sets, developing customer-facing experiences, and making data-driven decisions.
• Hiring, developing, and mentoring software developers, and managing investments that accelerate scaling for new marketplaces
• Owning the strategic planning and execution for long-term projects, creating value for our customers
• Collaborating effectively across multiple software engineering, applied science team and retail businesses to distill requirements that impact their customer experiences
• Reporting on the status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
• Master's/Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or related technical field
• 12+ years of experience developing software
• 8+ years of experience managing diverse and technically deep software development teams (Java, Python)
• 4+ years of experience working with science, Data Warehousing systems, Cloud Computing and AWS technologies
• Results oriented person, ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences, including non-technical
• PhD preferred in Mathematics, Computer Science, or related discipline
• More than 5 years of industrial/academic experience in building applied ML systems based on Deep Neural Networks, NLP, and Computer Vision, delivered to production
• Deep understanding of distributed and service-oriented architectures; delivered large scale commercial enterprise software systems or online services
• Proven track record of inventing simple solutions to solve complex challenges, and contributions that have advanced the field.
• Experience in delivering systems at scale similar to Amazon
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top