Amazon Engineering Operations Technician Intern
We hire data center operations interns into our data center engineering operation teams.Our interns Scope of work includes work to maintain the critical physical infrastructure that supports Amazon Web Services. The intern will be given exposure to the team that works to ensure the data center's MEP operates at 100% availability while maintaining first-class customer service to the teams and groups within the data centers.
The Data Center Engineering Operations Technician (EOT) is responsible for operating and maintaining all electrical, mechanical, and fire/life safety equipment within the data center. The EOT serves as a technical resource to support Amazon within its data centers. Data center equipment that supports mission-critical servers must maintain better than 99.999% uptime. EOT's are also tasked with driving innovation while reducing operational costs in the facilities.
EOT's are Amazon's front line responders for hands-on electrical and mechanical equipment troubleshooting and operation. This equipment includes, but is not limited to, stand-by diesel generators, switchgear, UPS's, PDU's, AHU's, chillers, cooling towers, chemical treatment systems, pumps, motors, VFD's, and building automation systems.
- Ensure all safety procedures are adhered to while performing work.
- Work on-call and a rotating schedule when required.
- Able to work approximately 29 hours per week.
- Take daily operational readings of all mechanical and electrical equipment and inspect buildings, grounds, and all equipment for unsafe or malfunctioning operation.
- Operate and manage maintenance of life/safety, mechanical, electrical and automation systems.
- Interact with internal partners and contractors supporting IT and building architecture, facilities maintenance, and Business Unit leads to support business objectives.
- Supervise contractors who perform service or preventive maintenance.
- Perform limited maintenance tasks to include: filter changes, battery system PMs, and Rack PDU & Rack ATS replacements.
- Perform first level trouble-shooting for facility and rack level events while maintaining SLA.
- Perform root cause analysis of equipment failures.
- Use Trouble Ticket system to manage workflow and Change Management system to manage risk for body of work being performed.
- Develop and maintain Method of Procedures for the maintenance/installation/decommissioning of all facilities equipment within the Data Center.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Technical (Military/Trade School) training and/or relevant experience.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience.
- Experience operating, troubleshooting and maintaining mission critical life/safety, mechanical and/or electrical systems.
- Self-starter with keen attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment.
- Solid leadership and organizational skills.
- Walk job sites in uneven terrain.
- Work at heights and from ladders.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 49 pounds; and participate in group lifts for 50 pounds or more.
- Work shifts longer than eight hours in duration.
- Coordinate body movements when using tools or equipment.
- Reach and stretch to position equipment and fixtures while maintaining balance.
- Bend or twist the body into unusual positions while working.
- Perform physical tasks all day without becoming overly tired.
- Use hands to manipulate small wires and objects.
- Push or pull heavy objects into position.
- Work in a noisy environment.
- Work at depths, such as under raised floors.
- Associates or Bachelors in applicable engineering field or mechanical or electrical trades.
- 4+ years of data center operations/facilities experience.
- Operating engineering licenses such as DC II, DC III, or equivalent.
- Stationary Engineering or Building Engineering License.
- Electrical or Mechanical Journeyman License.
- CFC license.
- NFPA 70E.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top