Amazon AWS - Data Center IT Support Engineer
- Sydney, Australia
Data Center Operations designs, installs & maintains the world's largest Computing Infrastructure. We are looking for skilled Data Center Engineers with a passion for technology to help us expand our cloud to the next level.
More about us:
Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers an exciting, dynamic and challenging environment encouraging creativity and personal development while maintaining AWS computing environments in a secure, scalable, and cost-effective manner.
Mid 2012, AWS S3 web service accepted its 1 trillionth object, currently accepting more than 40,000 objects uploaded every second on a daily basis. To keep up with this demand on both disk and capacity, we continue to expand our Data Centers in every region! Our content delivery service, Front, has expanded its Data Centers presence by over 50% worldwide in the last 12 months and are expected to continue increasing! This requires talented people to build & manage. We hope it is you!
The Opportunity: Data Center IT Support Engineer
This role is a unique opportunity to work in some of the most cutting edge data centers in the world. Amazon data centers are large-scale high-density centers where you will be working on changing the face of technology in the region.
A Data Center IT Support Engineer may be the primary point of contact for both internal customers (for example: Engineers, Systems Engineers, Software Developers, Database Engineers, Technical Operations) and external customers ( Vendors, Contractors, Service Providers among others). There is never a dull moment as each day presents itself with different challenges.
Some of the key responsibilities you will undertake are:
• Problem Solving: Maintain a high level of system reliability by prioritising and resolving trouble tickets efficiently, these include:
• Escalation point and technical troubleshooter for all Systems and problems
• Deep diving into Linux server issues
• XEN service virtualization troubleshooting
Technical: Troubleshoot technical issues on various platforms ranging from Systems through to Power/Mechanical
• Remediation of physical layer outages, both Systems & Network
• Remediation or recovery of physical power issues on racks
• Participate in Data Center power & cooling events
Operations: Meet 24x7 On-Call requirements and response during shift rotations.
• Install & configure racks of hosts in line with internal SLAs
• Triage & resolve trouble tickets for all devices in your region
• Data Center point of contact for all High Severity issues
• Physical replacement of server and network device parts
• Ensure correct rotation of parts & spares
• Help define metrics to increase our customer uptime
• Enforcing Amazons Security Best Practices
• Interact with third party vendors & contractors
• Contribute ideas to improve operational efficiency
• Participate in and deliver on a number of high impact small to mid-scale projects
• Participate in team meetings for metric analysis and project status updates
• Help build the world's largest Cloud infrastructure
Mentoring: Share knowledge and help educate less technical staff on the best practices related to all service owner issues
Hiring: Contribute towards building a great team by getting involved in the Amazon hiring process/candidate interviews
Learn more about our infrastructure here http://infrastructure.aws
• Solid understanding of Linux/Unix Administration
• Server hardware knowledge and experience
• Server Booting: POST, BIOS, PXE, Kickstart, GRUB/LILO, RAID
• Some Experience with Network Protocols: Ethernet, L2/L3 technologies
• Strong Communication Skills
• Passionate about IT infrastructure and hardware!
• Able to work in a diverse team
• Remote Access: Console routers, IPMI, BMC
• Network Copper and Optical Fiber Cabling
• Network Equipment Installation and Configuration
• Cisco IOS, NX-OS, JunOS
• Redundancy: Power feeds, ATS, Server , RAID, Connectivity
• Data Center Operations: Inventory Management, Hot/Cold Aisles, Security
• Participated in Project Management
• Experience or Knowledge of products: EC2, EBS, S3 etc.
• Scripting: Bash, Python, Perl, Ruby (or programming languages)
This position also has a physical component requiring the ability to lift & rack equipment up to 20 kg; it may require working in cramped spaces or in elevated locations while adhering to health & safety guidelines.
This role involves covering 24x7 shift rotation
* Candidates must possess a valid drivers licence and their own vehicle to travel between sites
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age. Amazon provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Back to top