- Irvine, CA
Amazon Games is looking for an AI Character Designer to join the New World team at Amazon Game Studios, Orange County. New World is a Sandbox MMO set in an alternate version of the 17th Century. As a designer on the AI team you'll be responsible for inventing and developing unique and exciting characters for New World. You will work with a team of animators and programmers to bring your vision to life. We're looking for gameplay focused designers that strive to create fun and exciting gameplay challenges.
Amazon Games applies the principles of Amazonian culture to the world of game design. We have a diverse team of talented, creative people pairing their love of making games with the unique strengths that come with being part of Amazon. Across all of our teams and locations, we are united by a common purpose: to share great gaming experiences with customers around the world. We believe in a future where everyone is a gamer and everyone can create, compete, collaborate and connect through games, and we are looking for the right people to help us build that future. With the power of Twitch and AWS at your fingertips, you will have the chance to innovate in gameplay, creativity, marketing, and technology, while working alongside some of the smartest and most creative minds in the industry.
In this role you will...
• Come up with cool concepts for new characters that fit in the world but bring something new and unique to the game
• Write CDDs (character design documents) that communicate your vision to the rest of the team
• Work with the animation team to describe timings, distances, and other animation keys which result in responsive, fun gameplay
• Work with programmer to create custom functionality for your characters
• Script gameplay logic and integrate animations into the game engine
• Work in an iterative manner, where you playtest often, get team feedback and improve your work
• Refine, tune, and polish your work create highly polished, high quality combat experiences
Inclusive Culture, Work/Life Balance, & Career Growth
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We offer ten employee-led affinity groups with 190 global chapters, innovative benefits, and annual and ongoing learning experiences (including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences). Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance and offers flexible working hours. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. Additionally, our team is dedicated to supporting you with mentorship and pathways for ongoing development. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and are building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and promotes career choice.
• 5+ years of video game experience
• 3+ years as an AI designer or similar gameplay related role
• 2+ year of visual scripting or scripting language experience
• Have worked on a third person action melee combat game
• Shipped a AAA title as gameplay designer
• Strong technical scripting skills and ability to learn new technologies
• Experience scripting in modern engines (Lumberyard, Unreal, Unity, etc...)
• Strong animation understanding and fluency
• Experience developing AI characters for online games
• Deep understanding the competitive, multiplayer game landscape
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top