The Pyxis team is looking for a seasoned DevOps engineer with CICD experience. As a member of the team, you will be exposed to most AWS services and technologies. Our Systems Engineers work in a fast-paced environment with our multi-disciplined service teams to deliver cutting-edge services to our customers. Pyxis team members own the scaling and management of services across AWS regions supporting the US Government.
The candidate should have a strong desire to learn and be curious about Amazon's internal and external services. This is a true DevOps role; you will be both allowed and expected to follow problems all the way to the end and work on implementing real solutions and not just quick fixes. A candidate who wants to go deep and understand how these large systems work will get a chance to excel in this position.
A Pyxis Systems Engineer will:
• Work with other engineers to build and manage massively scaled services
• Automate common tasks and processes
• Work with other engineers to diagnose and resolve customer issues
• Track the health of our services, identify and fix problems on complex systems with massive scale
• Collaborate with some of the leading minds in distributed systems
The candidate should be familiar with Linux, including the following:
• Various distros and their corresponding package management tools
• Permissions and permissions management
• File System partitioning, formatting, and mounting
• Log parsing using grep, awk, sed, cut, tr, etc
• Remote access via ssh
• Proc file system
• Network tools (ip, ifconfig, netstat, tcpdump, strace, netcat, ping, telnet, etc)
• System Monitoring Tools (top, *stat tools, etc)
• DNS and tools (bind, host, dig, nslookup, etc)
• Runlevel management tools (systemd, rc.d, inittab, chkconfig, etc)
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
This position can consider candidates for the Arlington, VA, Herndon, VA or Seattle, WA locations.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We are dedicated to supporting our new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
• Minimum of 5 years with administrative (root) access on Linux systems.
• Minimum of 2 years basic tools experience in a Linux environment
• Minimum of 2 years working with a Linux command line.
• Familiar with Linux file system permissions and ownership.
• Familiar with working with different privilege levels in a Linux environment
• Familiar with debugging applications running on Linux and/or Unix servers.
• Bachelor's Degree in computer science, mathematics, or a related field.
• Experience in a 24x7 production environment, especially one based on Linux.
• Development of systems automation in a scripting language: Perl, Python, or Ruby.
• Familiarity with the AWS SDKs or CLI.
• Good troubleshooting skills at all levels, from application to network to host.
• Experience with performance testing and tuning.
• Deployment or development experience with automation or monitoring frameworks.
• Experience with large distributed systems and web services.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.