Vice President of People
Alto is a modern pharmacy changing the way people manage and fill their prescriptions with a tech-driven, patient-centric, online pharmacy. Alto provides same-day, free delivery, seven days a week for prescriptions. More importantly, Alto offers cost transparency, personalized mobile support, and real-time coordination with doctors and insurance companies. Our mission is to fulfill medicine’s true purpose - to improve the quality of life for everyone who needs it.
We recently raised our Series C, surpassed 200 employees across four locations, and are on track to achieve $1B ARR by the end of 2020. Start-up tracker, CB Insights, recently listed Alto as one of the top 50 private companies around the world on a path to a $1 billion valuation. Alto is also featured in The New York Times (2/19) article “These 50 Start-Ups May Be the Next 'Unicorns'".
Alto Pharmacy is seeking a Vice President of People to be a key member of our quickly growing team. We are seeking an individual who deeply cares about creating the best experience for our employees. We are looking for a strategic partner to Alto’s leadership team and is responsible for the development of practices and plans that will help the company achieve its cultural and business objectives.
As a key leader at Alto, you will be responsible for strategic human resource planning to ensure excellence across Alto's staff and leadership development efforts, our approach to employee engagement, culture, diversity and inclusion; our implementation, management, and growth of multiple human resources processes, including facilities, recruiting, benefits and performance management, talent development and retention, and delivering our leadership development and other education programs. This role reports to the CEO and works closely with the company's operations team.
- Lead the strategy and growth of the organization's human resource, recruiting, and workplace services function and performance
- Partner with company leadership to facilitate the reinforcement, embodiment, and evolution of our cultural values through all people practices and processes
- Provide thought leadership on how the people strategy contributes to the business strategy and achievement of the long-term vision
- Together with executive leadership, drive a shift in organizational capabilities aligned with mid to long term strategy to facilitate scaling to growth
- Build and develop an impactful team that instills company-wide trust and value for the function and must be able to deliver with operational excellence
- Continually assess the competitiveness of all programs and practices against the relevant comparable companies, industries, and markets
- Continues to improve the programs, policies, practices, and processes associated with meeting the strategic and operational people issues of the organization
- Manage the budget and other financial measures of the People team
- Work with Leadership Team and key stakeholders to create a diversity and inclusion strategy involving and not limited to people programs, policies, hiring, and training that create an inclusive environment for a diverse workforce to achieve its business goals
- Improve progressive and proactive performance review, compensation and benefits programs to provide motivation, incentives, and rewards for impactful and effective performance
- Develop human resource planning models to identify competency, knowledge, and talent gaps; develop specific programs to fill the identified gaps. Areas of activity will include the following:
- Talent management, succession planning, learning and development, programs for key contributor and management positions, employee relations, reducing compliance risk
- Establish credibility throughout the organization to be an effective listener and problem solver of people issues
- Enhance, implement and enforce HR policies and procedures of the organization by way of systems and best practices that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization
- 10+ years of progressive leadership experience in an HR/People Ops position, of which at least 6 of those years have included supervision and mentorship of a professional staff
- Extensive experience managing a talent acquisition team
- Solid understanding and knowledge of Human Resource practices in organization development, policy administration, benefits, training and associate relations
- Demonstrated experience in leading positive culture change and instilling excellence, pride, and experience partnering with leadership in building a great organizational culture
- Knowledge of employment law, compensation, organizational planning, organizational development, employee relations, and safety
- Experience in a startup and/or operations-heavy tech environment, ideally having helped grow a team across multiple locations
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to inspire, motivate, and influence behaviors to help change across an organization
- Flexibility to travel to our CA and CO offices as needed
- Work experience from a consulting firm preferred
- BA/BS required, PhD in a relevant field, JD in employment law, or MBA preferred
Alto Pharmacy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are an E-Verify company.
Back to top