Software Engineer - Backend, Core Services
- San Francisco, CA
We’re building a new kind of pharmacy to cure one of our healthcare system’s most startling ills: over 50% of prescriptions are never picked up. Because staying on track with doctor’s orders requires more than just delivering pills, we’re managing everything from insurance logistics to pricing, late-night questions to supply chain, and anything else that could stand in the way of effective treatment. Our more than 800 employees are dedicated to fulfilling medicine’s true purpose: to improve the quality of life for everyone who needs it. We’ve filled over 1 million prescriptions to date. To aid our calling, we’ve raised $354 million in funding, and we’re on track to achieve $1 billion in annual recurring revenue (ARR) by 2021. Join us as we prove just how much a pharmacy can deliver.
About the Role
We are looking for an engineer to be a founding member of our newly formed Core Services team. As a founding member, you will help shape the vision, processes, and have large ownership over foundational services for Alto’s product teams. Within our charter, we will be building platforms to support Internationalization, Communications, Fraud and Risk management, Payments, User management and much more.
A Bit About You:
You are a backend specialist who owns projects from end-to-end, enjoys problem-solving, and values the impact your work makes for our engineering, operations, and product teams as well as our patients. You are creative and resourceful, excited to dive into an unknown project and humble enough to correct mistakes and iterate. You are adept at breaking down complex problems and designing impactful software solutions that solve for scale, reliability, and extensibility.
Example projects an engineer might work on include:
- Internationalization: Enable Alto to serve users who speak any language on mobile and web.
- User Management: Build a platform that serves all the needs of our many different users- patients, providers, clinics, pharmacists, couriers, and more!
- Communications: Provide single location for managing channel preferences and extend functionality across sms, email, in-app messaging, and push notifications.
- Payments: Build a platform handling multiple payment processors, banking integrations, fraud and risk management, and more!
- Identity/Authentication/Authorization: In conjunction with our Security team, build a platform that enables a seamless, secure login and signup process across mobile and web.
- Scaling and Cost Optimizations: Work along with our infra team to ensure our systems will scale in a cost-effective manner as we track to $1billion ARR in 2021.
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- Have 4+ years of experience writing production code
- Are proficient in one or more backend programming languages. At Alto, we mainly use Ruby on Rails and Go on the backend, but experience with these specific languages is not required.
- Have interest in larger scale work that enable other engineers and business lines.
- Have built or maintained internal APIs, libraries, services, or systems.
- Have experience with a RDBMS: mysql, postgres, etc
- Have experience with a caching technology: memcache, redis
- Thrive in a collaborative fast-paced entrepreneurial environment. You're excited to dive into unfamiliar problems and humble enough to make mistakes and iterate.
About Our Benefits
We believe that a happy mind and body make a happy and successful employee, so we're pleased to offer solutions that keep your mind and body refreshed and healthy. Our employees have access to comprehensive medical, dental, and vision care packages, on-demand counseling services with Ginger, on-site meditation and mindfulness classes, and discounted gym memberships.
Peace of mind allows our employees to focus on what matters in life! That's why we think it's important to ensure your home, family and funds are protected. Alto Pharmacy offers benefits like group life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance, not to mention a health savings account, flexible spending account options, commuter benefits and more.
Alto Pharmacy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are an E-Verify company.
Back to top