Alto is building the pharmacy of the future. We’re a new type of healthcare company taking a radical approach to patient wellness, proactive healthcare, and community pharmacy. We believe in offering unprecedented patient advocacy, delivering medications seamlessly and conveniently, and helping patients to take ownership of their own wellness. Whether they’re managing a chronic illness, trying to get pregnant, or recovering from a surgery, Alto works to empower our patients to not only recover, but to thrive. Our mission is to fulfill medicine’s true purpose—to improve quality of life—for everyone who needs it.
As an Engineering Manager at Alto, you will manage a team of 6-8 engineers. You will use your strong communication and people skills to grow and develop the team, as well as cultivate cross-collaboration with Product Management, Design, and Operations. You will ensure your team has the bandwidth to tackle ambitious goals without compromising quality or sanity. Alto Engineers put the patient and user experience first, own projects from end to end, and are problem solvers. Your role as Engineering Manager is to support your team and enable them to do their best work.
For your first 1-2 months, you’ll familiarize yourself with our tech stack, engineering processes, and codebase to learn how everything connects together. You will ship small features to Alto’s products and be “on the ground” to understand the challenges and skills needed to be successful as an Alto Engineer. You’ll also shadow our Pharmacy Operations, Patient Care, and Fulfillment Teams to understand Alto from every perspective. At the end of this time, you will have shown strong technical judgment on several projects, fostered cross-team collaboration, and brought your unique experience to Alto with thoughtfulness. These initial weeks familiarize you with Alto holistically and earn you credibility as a leader with your colleagues.
Responsibilities of an Alto Engineering Manager:
- Develops and empowers your team through consistent and honest feedback (we love radical candor), career planning, and performance reviews. You are a mentor and coach!
- Partner closely with Recruiting to expand the team - collaborating on hiring strategies, sourcing candidates, interviewing, closing, and onboarding new employees. You care about the candidate experience and diversity & inclusion when hiring.
- Run weekly 1:1s and team meetings, mentor engineers, and conduct code reviews.
- Contribute to Alto’s product and technical roadmaps.
- Work with other leadership to develop new initiatives and improve existing processes across the entire engineering team.
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- Have 4+ years of industry experience writing production code.
- Have 3+ years of engineering management experience with a strong record of shipping.
- Use product intuition grounded in data and analytics to contribute to product decisions, and can work with product engineers, product managers, and designers to effectively deliver them.
- Have successfully recruited engineers, on your own and with a recruiting team
- Understand industry best practices and tradeoffs and when to apply them
- Believe in Alto’s mission and embodies our company values
Want more insight into what motivates us to save patient lives? Learn about our key values here: https://www.keyvalues.com/alto
Alto Pharmacy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are an E-Verify company.
Back to top