Do you want to help prevent the most prevalent chronic condition among children in the United States? Are you interested in addressing the most common unmet health care need of poor children across the country? As a Software Developer at Altarum Institute, your first software project will be to help design and develop a Java-based, statewide referral and quality monitoring system to give medical providers the tools to refer children with oral health issues to the dental community. The software that you develop will help create a sustained, system-wide improvement in children’s oral health, and ultimately improve the oral health of more than 1 million children across the state of Michigan. You’ll report to a Center Director, and work in an Agile environment alongside a team of Software Developers, Business Analysts, and Public Health Analysts in our Portland, ME office. During your career at Altarum, you will have the opportunity to make important software and web development contributions to multiple healthcare projects such as java based web applications for public health, clinical decision support tools, EHR integration, and mobile applications.
• Use Java, XML and other SW development tools to design, write, test, and document computer programs, subroutines, and scripts to create a statewide referral and quality monitoring system.
• Translate application storyboards, use cases and web-page concept designs into functional, dynamic web and mobile applications.
• While maintaining current production code, you must demonstrate a willingness to step into new roles and learn new technologies quickly.
• Be innovative and share ideas as we evaluate new or alternative data processing techniques to determine their usefulness in meeting project needs and deadlines.
• BS or MS degree in computer science; 3+ years of experience working on Java applications, strong knowledge of Object Orientated Programming, and experience with multiple databases. 7+ years to be considered for the senior role.
• Enjoy working with a dynamic team, flexible and possess a good foundation of software development skills.
• Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and a quick learner. You should have a broad base of software development experience, and be interested in continuing to grow technically via hands on experience and learning.
ABOUT ALTARUM: Altarum Institute is a nonprofit systems research and consulting organization serving government and private sector clients, since 1946. Headquartered in Ann Arbor, MI our focus is solely on improving health and health care. Combining the analytical rigor of a research institution with the business agility of a consulting firm, the Institute is uniquely positioned to deliver practical, systems-based solutions to its clients and funders. Altarum’s nonprofit status ensures that the public interest is always preeminent in our work. Our dedication to social responsibility is evident in all that we do, serving the public good with integrity and enabling others to do the same. Altarum's dynamic work environment emphasizes integrity, personal commitment, and teamwork. In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (5% employer contribution), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum Institute is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.
Meet Some of Altarum's Employees
Deputy Project Manager
Shaheen is focused on customer satisfaction, serving as a trusted partner and advisor to help clients meet their goals, increase efficiencies, and adapt in rapidly changing environments.
Back to top