Senior Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer & General Counsel
Altarum is seeking an accomplished, highly-motivated executive for the position of Senior Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer & General Counsel (CAO-GC). Specifically, the CAO-GC will report to Altarum’s president and CEO and provide hands-on executive leadership for the Institute’s human resources, legal, government contracts, and procurement departments.
Altarum’s mission is to serve the public good by solving complex systems problems to improve human health. Altarum—a leading nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with annual revenues exceeding $80M—focuses solely on health and health care. The Institute serves its mission via two complementary means:
- Providing client-driven research, analysis, consulting, and technology services to the public and private sector enterprises—serving their health-focused missions; and
- Conducting internally-chartered research, demonstration, and advocacy initiatives—often in partnership with other leading organizations—focusing on select critical systems issues not adequately addressed in the marketplace.
The successful applicant will set strategic direction and manage all aspects of the human resources, legal, contracts, and procurement functions—which includes direct reports across multiple offices. The CAO-GC will work independently and in partnership with senior leadership, departmental team members and employees to ensure polices, practices, and programs support the organization and its 450+ employees. To help Altarum evolve and adapt for the future, the executive will design, develop, and implement process and systems improvement initiatives to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of these functions. As a member of the Institute’s senior executive team, the CAO-GC will participate in Institute strategic planning, will serve on the Institute’s Employee Benefits Council, and will work in partnership with the CEO on Institute governance and board development matters.
The substantial majority of personnel associated with these functions are based in its Ann Arbor, MI headquarters—and we will happily relocate the successful applicant to Michigan. However, Altarum has a large presence in the greater DC area and highly qualified applicants who wish to base there also are encouraged to apply. Travel to Ann Arbor will accordingly be required and supported.
The CAO-GC is responsible for the following objectives:
- Monitor Business Requirements and External Trends. Act as a strategic partner and gain an understanding of the Altarum Institute business and its market position. Proactively monitor and analyze new laws, regulations and trends in the human capital, legal, and government contracting domains for potential opportunities and risks to organizational objectives.
- Oversee & Improve Departmental Operations. Ensure smooth daily operations and compliance of all departmental functions. Longer-term, describe and implement a shared services business model to better structure, integrate, measure, and “tune” departmental processes and functions to enhance the efficiently and value provided to internal customers.
- Provide Advice and Counsel. Research, interpret and provide privileged advice and counsel on the full range of corporate operational, financial, contractual, employment and other legal issues for the Institute. Provide innovative solutions to ongoing business and legal issues. Coordinate and oversee external counsel activities.
- Grow Altarum Human Capital across three key emphasis areas:
- work with CEO and internal business leaders to refine our workforce planning to ensure we proactively scale and prioritize recruiting efforts to meet ever-changing business needs;
- develop and lead programs to foster greater diversity and inclusion among employee base—with focus on the leadership pipeline; and
- integrate recruitment approaches with those for ongoing supervisor performance management and employee development and engagement via metrics and end-to-end accountability for managers.
- Develop the Team. Recruit, coach, and develop human resources, legal, contracts administration, and procurement professionals. Support the Institute in maintaining a work environment focused on quality and that fosters learning, respect, open communication, collaboration, integration and team work.
- Ensure Compliance. Ensure all departments and operating units operate and are in compliance within applicable employment and federal procurement policies (e.g., EEO, ERISA, FAR, DFARS, etc.), as well as commercial laws, regulations and other applicable guidelines.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and professionalism
- Hands-on management style with triage skills to quickly prioritize tasks
- Strong analytical, conceptual and communication skills that foster a creative approach to balancing risk and reward in problem solving
- Demonstrated leadership and experience successfully overseeing the core functions associated with this position. Experience in a nonprofit organization is a plus.
- Expert knowledge and experience with government contract administration concepts and federal and state government contract policies and regulations
- D. from a nationally accredited and recognized law school and minimum of 10 years’ legal experience. Prior relevant law firm experience or experience as general counsel is highly desired
- The successful candidate is currently a member of a state bar and is, or will become, admitted to practice law in Michigan and other relevant jurisdictions
Altarum Institute is a nonprofit systems research and consulting organization serving government and private sector clients, since 1946. Headquartered in Ann Arbor, MI our focus is solely on improving health and health care. Combining the analytical rigor of a research institution with the business agility of a consulting firm, the Institute is uniquely positioned to deliver practical, systems-based solutions to its clients and funders. Altarum’s nonprofit status ensures that the public interest is always preeminent in our work. Our dedication to social responsibility is evident in all that we do, serving the public good with integrity and enabling others to do the same. Altarum's dynamic work environment emphasizes integrity, personal commitment, and teamwork.
In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (5% employer contribution), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum Institute is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.
Meet Some of Altarum's Employees
Deputy Project Manager
Shaheen is focused on customer satisfaction, serving as a trusted partner and advisor to help clients meet their goals, increase efficiencies, and adapt in rapidly changing environments.
Back to top