Medical Director, Population Health and Value Based Care
- Oakland, CA
At Altais, we're looking for bold and curious innovators who share our passion for enabling better health care experiences and revolutionizing the healthcare system for physicians, patients, and the clinical community. Doctors today are faced with the reality of spending more time on administrative tasks than caring for patients. Physician burnout and fatigue are an epidemic, and the healthcare experience and quality suffer as a result. At Altais, we're building breakthrough clinical support tools, technology, and services to let doctors do what they do best: care for people. Come join us as an early member of our passionate and growing team as we change the game for the future of healthcare and enable the experience that people need and deserve.
Job SummaryAre you looking to build your career in Healthcare Transformation and be part of a growing and dynamic team? We've got a great opportunity to be part of a start-up business with the resources and leadership of an experienced next-generation clinical and services organization. We believe that people are our greatest asset and looking for an exceptional Medical Director to join the Altais Clinical Leadership Team and deliver inspired solutions that change the way healthcare is delivered.
As the Medical Director, Population Health and Value Based Care, you will be responsible for the clinical design, implementation and adoption of Altais' population health management and payment model strategy, enabling physician practices to succeed in a pay for value environment. You will have the opportunity to lead true system-wide change to improve healthcare delivery at scale.
You will partner closely with the consulting and customer support teams in identifying opportunities for practice optimization and innovation to improve the quality of care, eliminate waste, reduce overall practice operating costs and improve revenue opportunities. Once we return to the office, post COVID-19; This position also has a large field-based component, involving regular face-to-face meetings with physician practice partners. Altais is committed to providing at-the-elbow support for physicians to enable practices throughout their practice transformation journey.
You will also collaborate closely with our product management, user experience and engineering teams to bring out the best in product design and development, keeping the user and physician at the heart of our work. You will ensure that best-in-class solutions are implemented and adopted successfully at client practices, tailored to their specific needs.
This position is based in our brand-new Oakland City Center headquarters and will require statewide travel to Northern and Southern California regions, with potential travel nationwide in the future.
About Your Work
- Design, develop and lead new Population Health and Value Based Care programs to shift the landscape of reimbursement from pay for service to pay for value.
- Oversee the successful adoption of new payment models in primary care and specialty practices, driving improved quality of care, healthcare affordability and the financial sustainability of provider partners.
- Provide transformational leadership in collaboration with practice partners to create engaged providers open to meaningful change, at both the ACO/IPA level as well as the independent practice level.
- Build effective, long-term relationships with physicians and practice groups to introduce and drive a culture of practice optimization and learning, through alignment, shared goals and regular interaction. This may include facilitating in-person or virtual collaborative groups, training sessions, and individual practice or provider champion coaching.
- Be a champion of utilizing the power of data to impact the health of populations and individuals, to provide clinical decision support, to drive quality improvement, to improve safety and to identify and eliminate health inequities.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of innovative technology solutions that will be used to enable clinical transformation in line with our shared value-based care goals.
- Create a portfolio of value-added services for practice optimization, transformation and adoption of alternative payment models.
- Review the metrics and processes of clinical programs and evaluate value-based criteria tied to provider contracts on an ongoing basis.
The Skills, Experience & Education You Bring
- Active, unencumbered Medical License (MD or DO) and Board Certification required.
- Advanced degree in Public Health, Analytics or Business preferred.
- Experience in population health management, pay for value contracting and quality improvement required.
- The Medical Director must have strong clinical skills with 10+ years of healthcare experience and 5+ years in a leadership role in a health system, clinical practice or a payer with a particular emphasis on value-based care e.g. Population Health, ACO or MSO
- In-depth understanding of pay for value models and experience leading the transition of an organization from a traditional fee-for-service model.
- A strong foundation in data analysis and utilization to impact practice operations, clinical quality and provider activities.
- Strong strategic, analytic, and critical thinking skills with proven ability to use EHR, administrative and claims data to identify opportunities, inform program design and measure process, clinical and financial outcomes.
- Experience in design, implementation and oversight of utilization management and care management programs.
- Proven ability to develop and lead high performing teams, with experience growing a rapidly scaling organization.
- In-depth experience with ambulatory information systems, EHR systems and practice management systems.
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, and group facilitation skills required, with the ability to convey complex or technical information in a manner that others can understand at all levels of an organization.
- Comfort in speaking in front of large audiences as well as C-suite level executives.
- Strong critical thinking skills required, particularly to evaluate and respond to leadership teams and manage related team dynamics.
- Position requires flexibility to work remotely with travel to practice locations as needed with the ability to meet multiple deadlines and handle interruptions to on-going work activities.
You Share our Mission & Values
- You are passionate about improving the healthcare experience and want to be part of the Altais mission.
- You are bold and curious- willing to take risks, try new things and be creative.
- You take pride in your work and are accountable for the quality of everything you do, holding yourself and others to a high standard.
- You are compassionate and are known as someone who demonstrates emotional intelligence, considers others when making decisions and always tries to do the right thing.
- You co-create, knowing that we can be better as a team than individuals. You work well with others, collaborating and valuing diversity of thought and perspective.
- You build trust with your colleagues and customers by demonstrating that you are someone who values honesty and transparency.
Office Environment - roles involving part to full time schedule in Office Environment. Based in our physical offices and work from home office/deskwork - Activity level: Sedentary, frequency most of work day.
Please click here for further physical requirement detail.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest records and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, State and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability status and any other classification protected by Federal, State and local laws
Back to top