z/OS Storage Administrator - Charlotte, NC
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
- Monitor, support, maintain, and administer disk storage and virtual tape subsystem infrastructure and software
- Provision and allocate storage in response to the needs and requests of application and technical support areas
- Analyze production mainframe DASD space availability; determine the cause of any issues and proactively address them
- Manage backups and data replication across all LPARs in multiple sysplexes and locations
- Customization and maintenance of SMS, RMM and HSM
- Analyze, recommend and execute required SMS modifications
- Respond to and take appropriate action on mainframe storage related user inquiries, service requests and incident tickets
- Engage in proactive maintenance activities to ensure optimal use and availability of mainframe storage resources
- Assist Storage and z/OS Engineering teams with implementation and upgrades of mainframe DASD and virtual tape infrastructure and software
- Participate in the development of manual and automated procedures to increase the efficiency of the storage administration
- Actively contribute to a current project to migrate data from HDS DASD to IBM DS8K DASD
- Actively contribute to the implementation of IBM's Geographically Dispersed Parallel Sysplex (GDPS) solution
- Administration and execution of GDPS Global Mirror scripts
- Support and administer HSM, SMS and ACS
- Manage and administer the Oracle virtual tape infrastructure and software (HSC, SMC and VSM)
- Analyze and administer management class constructs defining retention requirements for data sets
- Analyze and administer HSM parameter library members
- Actively participate in and contribute to disaster recovery planning and exercises
- Participate in an on-call rotation to provide 24x7 support; be available for project and maintenance activities outside normal working hours, as needed.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience administering IBM storage in a z/OS, multi-sysplex environment
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing a virtual tape environment
- Proficiency working with SMS, HSM and ACS
- Proficiency working with HSC, SMC, VSM and RMM
- Experience administering and provisioning IBM DS8K storage hardware is preferred
- Experience implementing and/or managing IBM Global Mirror replication environment is preferred
- Proficient with JCL coding and IBM utilities (IDCAMS, IEBCOPY, ICEGENER, etc.)
- Proficient using TSO, ISPF, ISMF
- SAS and/or REXX programming experience is a plus
Competencies and Experience:
- College degree or equivalent work experience
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Ability to coach and train less experienced employees under general direction
- Ability to resolve difficult problems and implement solutions after evaluating multiple alternative
- Ability to operate effectively as part of a geographically dispersed team
- Ability to access, understand and adhere to established standards and procedures
- Strong interpersonal, collaboration and team skills
- Strong oral and written communication
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top