Vice President of Data Science
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The ideal leader will be well versed in both analytics and insurance. They will establish the vision and strategic capability to enhance Allstate's performance in the marketplace by effectively leveraging Data Science and Predictive Analytics. This individual will manage staff that is accountable for obtaining, analyzing and translating data into useful, innovative business solutions across a host of disciplines. They will be accountable for the strategic direction and oversight of the programming, database, data modeling, unstructured data, big data, statistical modeling, economic modeling, machine learning, data visualization, and other quantitative and analytical skills that contribute directly to the development of predictive models and analytics that improve the competitiveness of Allstate's solutions and drive business results.
In alignment with corporate goals, specific responsibilities for the role will include:
- Leading through influence and effectively championing the adoption of sophisticated analytic decision making processes throughout Allstate to meaningfully and demonstrably improve business results.
- Conceiving, developing, implementing, and continually improving upon closed-loop models that integrate decision making across AORs and functions in support of Allstate strategies.
- Lead the connection of business strategies with the capabilities available as Allstate becomes an Integrated Digital Enterprise – helping business leaders understand and capitalize on the capabilities available to produce business outcomes
- Continually evaluating new analytic and big data techniques and technology for application and competitive advantage within the enterprise by staying current on new technology, analytics, and emerging trends in this and other industries
- Partnering with Allstate Technology Organization to design technology systems that facilitates faster, easier, and cheaper adoption of analytic solutions in the marketplace
- Influence the development of additional capabilities to deliver business outcomes through the use of data and analytics within the analytic ecosystem Allstate is creating
- Mentoring and teaching technical and analytical skills within the department and across the organization
- Developing ad hoc studies that evaluate the economic impact of new strategies and operational decisions
- Aggressively acquiring and training new talent, maintaining a friendly and collaborative work environment, and developing future managers and leaders
- Maximizing professional development, personal contribution, and performance of employees
- Acting as an analytical consultant for partners across the enterprise.
The successful candidate will have a minimum 8-10 years experience in leading word class analytics including:
- An extensive track record that demonstrates effectiveness in driving business results through advanced analytics
- The ability to develop and articulate a compelling vision and generate necessary consensus for analytic decision making
- A successful history of translating business objectives and problems into analytic problems, and analytic solutions into actionable business solutions
- A proven ability to influence decision making across large organizations
- A proven ability to hire, develop, and effectively lead deeply technical resources
- Extensive statistical and insurance domain knowledge
- An advanced knowledge about business in general and seasoned, in-depth, multi-dimensional knowledge of industry and company economics
- Ability to synthesize, analyze, interpret, and communicate complex concepts
- Ability to measure, evaluate, and act on results (financial and operational)
- Ability to develop and implement a broad array of analytic solutions to a broad array of problems
- Ability to provide written and oral interpretation of highly specialized terms and data, and ability to present this data to others with different levels of expertise
- Ability to manage/lead a large group of employees
- Ability to concentrate on a wide range of loosely defined complex situations, which require application of creativity and originality, where guidance and counsel may be unavailable
- High level organizational and project management skills in order to handle multiple concurrent assignments in a timely manner
- Proven track record of sound, effective decision making
The successful candidate will be a fearless and transformational leader who can independently identify opportunities to leverage analytics to improve business results across the enterprise and collaborate across the organization to drive change and capitalize on opportunities.
This individual must also have the following personal and professional attributes which are consistent with the Company's stated values:
- Thrive on change and continuous improvement
- Demonstrate and foster a sense of urgency, strong commitment, and accountability while making sound decisions and achieving goals
- Focus on exceptional customer service and drive innovation to create an atmosphere that supports new ideas and initiative
- Strive for effective communication that results in teamwork, shared knowledge, and ideas
- Articulate, inspire, and engage commitment to a plan of action aligned with organizational mission and goals
- Ensure the development of a diverse pool of talent to meet current and future organizational needs
- Create an environment where people from diverse cultures and backgrounds work together effectively
- Be of unquestionable integrity, ethical and moral character
- Deal effectively with ambiguity, change, and adapt appropriately to a range of situations
- Pursue lifelong learning and personal development
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top