Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The User Experience (UX) Research team is part of MARA, a group within marketing that includes a variety of consumer insights, analytics, and competitive intelligence disciplines. UX Research serves as the connection point between market & consumer research and the User Experience (UX) organization, a multi-disciplinary services group made up of researchers, strategists, information architects, visual designers, content strategists, UI engineers, and product designers that come together to design delightful experiences for Allstate customers and agency staff.
UX Research brings visibility to end-user needs and goals through creative design of data collection and analysis methods, coupled with socialization techniques that engage stakeholders in empathy building and drive the uptake and application of user research findings.
UX Research performs descriptive, generative, and evaluative research as business and design needs dictate according to the phases of product development.
The UX Researcher will be supporting a strategic business unit within Allstate that is transforming the way Allstate agents relate to and serve customers. The business unit is responsible for re-imagining and building enterprise software that 10,000+ agencies will use on a daily basis to sell products, serve their customers, and manage their agencies.
The UX researcher's primary function will be embedded with an agile team of UX designers, developers, and product owners. The UX Researcher will independently plan, recruit for, conduct, analyze, and report on weekly rounds of iterative testing, and will find creative ways to document, maintain, and drive team alignment around the UX design backlog.
The UX Researcher will work primarily onsite at the Allstate Northbrook campus to ensure close collaboration with key UX team members. Some incidental domestic travel may be involved, including local travel by car to field sites when applicable.
- Create user scenarios and research objectives that are aligned with project and business goals.
- Create project plans and artifacts that describe UX research efforts, timelines, and outcomes.
- Prepare for and conduct weekly sessions to gather user expectations for and feedback on interaction design hypotheses for complex projects.
- Leverage partnerships with analytics and other research disciplines within Allstate to independently investigate and gather relevant evidence for design direction, where needed.
- Plan and conduct formal user interface design reviews and/or heuristic reviews.
- Work with the UX research manager to plan and conduct other in-depth exploratory and evaluative studies outside of the agile framework.
- Assist in defining and refining UX research processes in agile to improve the impact and promote the value of user research, and ensure execution.
- Train peers and other team members in proper testing techniques.
- Two to four years of relevant experience within a behavioral research function; interdisciplinary design and research background preferred.
- Four-year degree (Master's preferred) in Human Factors/Human Computer Interaction, Cognitive or Experimental/Social Psychology, Cognitive Science, Sociology, or related field.
- Reliable test-plan management, skillful session facilitation, and clarity in communicating research methods and outcomes.
- Demonstrated competence with usability testing, cognitive walkthroughs, heuristic reviews, and gathering qualitative and quantitative measures using design artifacts at any level of fidelity.
- Facility with generating and applying frameworks to organize research findings and provide decision framing for different stakeholder audiences.
- Proclivity for balancing "lean" philosophy with the need for concise documentation of user insights and design recommendations for design backlog and team reference.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to quickly build rapport, establish credibility.
- Thrives as an independent contributor in a collaborative work environment.
- Ability to meet and serve design teams where they are, and set them up for success.
- Ability to structure and lead team discussions about research findings and implications.
- Penchant for day to day problem-solving, and appetite for adopting new data collection and collaboration tools.
- Comfort with/ courage to act and move activities forward despite uncertainty.
- Naturally curious, empathetic, humble, and passionate about designing for behavioral change.
- Experience/ familiarity with Adobe analytics, Tableau, UserZoom, Validately, WebEx, InVision, Sketch, JIRA, Trello, Confluence, Slack, Smaply, Typeform, Survey Monkey, and other usability and analytical software tools a plus.
- Experience with design research, lean UX methods, design thinking, and ideation methods a plus.
- Experience with or interest in business process management and operational efficiency helpful but not required.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top