Underwritng Research-Lead Consultant
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Job Family Summary:
The Underwriting Research family is responsible for the establishment of standards and policy for the evaluation of risk during underwriting.
This position has responsibility for providing effective risk management in support of our corporate goals and current risk tolerance. The purpose of this position it to promote and facilitate the organization’s continuing efforts to improve processes, procedures, systems and overall results.
- Completes cost/benefit analysis after extensive review of new guidelines and/or underwriting requirements
- Partners with Medical team, Technical Chief Underwriter and other team members in creation of underwriting policy
- Advises and presents recommendations to leadership team, including presenting the recommendations for agreement to move forward or confirming why not to make a change
- May also work on reviewing decisions from our newly built automated decision engine to determine if the rules are accurate and where we need to make changes
- Analysis of underwriting trends including, analyzing reports on declined cases, looking for patterns by age, amount, product type, or agent
- Identifies where processes or guidelines need to be updated, completes the analysis and presents the findings.
- Assists with review of early claims and surrounding process
- Participates in cross-functional team (including legal, compliance and other AOR’s) in review of new laws and determines impact to underwriting process
- Builds strong working relationships with individuals from multiple departments
- Analyze relevant processes, systems and technology and devise/implement solutions that improve organizational productivity along with adherence to underwriting guidelines
- Understands eApplication, eUnderwriting, and other vendor provided requirements to be sure that current and proposed guidelines remain in sync with underwriting policy and procedures.
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience
There is potential for this poisiton to be a remote position.
- Advanced Medical and Financial underwriting knowledge
- Knowledge of state regulations as they impact our underwriting guidelines
- Expert oral/written communication & documentation skills
- Advanced knowledge of underwriting systems and processes including the ability to analyze data, identify trends, draw conclusions and present sound recommendations for improvements
- Strong analytical skills
- Attention to Detail
- Minimum 10 years LIFE underwriting experience
- Proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- FLMI and/or FALU preferred but not required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top