Underwriting Senior Associate-Encompass
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Underwriting job family is focused on effective execution of underwriting policy. This job family will utilize, influence, and support underwriting policy, to maximize growth and profitability of personal lines business for Encompass
Makes underwriting decisions, while building relationships with our agents, across multiple lines of insurance or a complex single line to include the complexity of portfolio underwriting and mass affluent underwriting. Answer inquiries on the status of policy, risk eligibility and underwriting policies and procedures. Apply underwriting acumen while complying with state rules and regulations. Reviews underwriting decisions and suggests process improvements. Will investigate information received from reports and other business units and make appropriate updates to the policy. The underwriter works across boundaries with Countrywide Risk Management and Pricing to execute appropriate strategies and adequate rate for the exposure. This position requires basic underwriting knowledge and appropriate authority levels to develop and write high value risks.
Work Schedule: Monday to Friday Shifts vary between 8:00 am and 8:00 PM
- Evaluates, makes decisions and processes policies for multiple states based on Encompass underwriting strategies, underwriting guidelines while using underwriting judgment to access potential future profitability of the policy. Must document underwriting thought process.
- Using their underwriting expertise, answers inquiries on complex issues regarding policies, procedures, rules, regulations, contract and rates countrywide.
- Must be able to articulate corporate underwriting strategy and be able to fully explain underwriting decision
- Handles underwriting disputes and complaints by researching and resolving customer communications, concerns, conflicts and issues.
- Negotiates mutually acceptable solutions for the agent and the company.
- Optimizes sales & contributes toward growth targets by providing a superior level of underwriting service and attention to Encompass agents.
- Prioritizes work based on multiple distributions of agency contacts via inbound calls, outbound calls, e-mail and fax.
- Has authority to make underwriting exceptions within established authority levels to continue the policy.
- Support team service level agreements
- Pulls external reports or obtain documents from agents to verify policy information. Based on that information, ask underwriting questions in order to fully develop the account.
- Understands and evaluates reports such as environmental remediation reports, inspections reports, and motor vehicle reports.
- Underwrites and evaluates policies for misrepresentation or non-disclosure of information to determine eligibility and/or rate.
- Actively builds relationships with team members & other business units to improve processes through collaboration, problem solving and achievement of common goals and objectives.
- Reports/works with the manager in identifying training needs within team or other units.
- Consults and assists the agent with the development of coverage levels appropriate for complex and unique high value exposures.
- Accountable for individual underwriting decisions as a part of large loss reviews.
- Able to transfer process and underwriting knowledge to others.
- Partners with Claims for SIU investigations.
- College degree or equivalent insurance experience.
- Typically has <2 years underwriting experience.
• Basic knowledge of underwriting for multiple lines, complex single lines and across regions.
- Basic knowledge the fundamental principles of insurance and underwriting and can teach it to others.
- Intermediate level written and oral communication skills.
- Performs tasks using analytical and problem solving skills.
- Works with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of Underwriting Rules and Procedures, as well as regulatory and technical standards.
- Knowledge of all Encompass contracts and coverage levels.
- Knowledge of business area processes and successful practices and ability to apply judgment.
- Understands internal and external compliance requirements/standards.
- Ability to cultivate relationships with agents in order to learn more about client’s needs and encourage agents to submit business that meets high lifetime value underwriting standards.
- Ability to work independently with autonomy in underwriting decision making.
- Limited Travel may be required.
- Possess underwriting skills and ability to mitigate future loss potential.
- Ability to prioritize multiple agent communication (incoming/outgoing calls, email, fax)
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top