Trial Attorney - Yonkers, NY
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Represents insured’s of Allstate and the Company in the defense of low to moderate to exposure bodily injury and property damage law suits. Assess liability and damages and develop defenses to allegations for a successful resolution of cases. Allstate’s Litigation Services team provides legal assistance in connection with large and complex claims cases, and manages controversies arising from the implementation and execution of claims policies and procedures, both before and after litigation has commenced (including appeals). This practice group also assists with insurance coverage disputes by providing legal opinions and managing related litigation. This group also provides training and advice to the claims organization.
- Effectively negotiate settlements including all aspects of liability and damages
- Attend hearings and conduct trials
- Argue motions; take effective depositions of lay and expert witnesses
- Consult with clients and opposing counsel and the judiciary
- Coordinate the case handling with claims personnel
- Complete necessary system documentation
- Assist other attorneys in resolving calendar conflicts
- Also function within an SIU capacity
- *Juris Doctorate (J.D.) and member in good standing of the (corresponding State) state bar
- Approximately 2-5 years of litigation experience; insurance defense strongly preferred
- Jury trial experience a plus
- Proven time management skills including ability to handle multiple cases, prioritize and organize, and establish and meet time lines
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; strong presentation and collaboration skills including the ability to partner with a variety of internal and external contacts as well as for preparing reports, pleadings, and correspondence, etc.
- Independent worker as well as team player to collaborate and work cohesively with a group of attorneys, paralegals, administrative assistants, supervised by Lead Counsel
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision making skills
- Effective negotiation skills
- SIU experience is a PLUS, with flexibility to work across several disciplines that may include SIU, PIP and UM
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top