Trial Attorney- Cranford
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate's Staff & Retained Counsel team represents policyholders in claims-related litigation / disputes through staff counsel offices at approximately 77 locations in 35 states and, when appropriate, through the retention of outside law firms around the country. It also represents the Company in a variety of litigation as well. This unit is responsible for leading, coordinating and advancing Allstate's large nationwide staff counsel organization and the strategic management of the Claims panel of retained outside counsel. This team works closely with our Claim Department as well as the Company's regions to regularly assess both short and long-term strategic needs, direction and trends.
As Trial Attorney, you will bring your subject matter expertise in claims defense litigation to represent clients who are customers of Allstate Insurance Company, Encompass Insurance Company, and Esurance ("the Company") in: bodily injury (BI), property damage, no-fault/PIP, special investigations (SIU), arbitration and subrogation cases. You will acquire broad knowledge of the Company and our business lines as well as assert processes, procedures and best practices. You will determine litigation tactics and negotiate cases for timely claims resolution, representing the insured of Allstate and the Company in the defense of low to moderate to exposure bodily injury, property damage, PIP and/or Subrogation lawsuits. Assess liability and damages and develop defenses to allegations for a successful resolution of cases.
- Effectively negotiate settlements including all aspects of liability and damages
- Attend hearings and conduct trials
- Argue motions; take effective depositions of lay and expert witnesses
- Consult with clients and opposing counsel and the judiciary
- Coordinate the case handling with claims personnel
- Complete necessary system documentation
- Assist other attorneys in resolving calendar conflicts
Successful candidates will possess the following experience, skills and attributes:
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) and member in good standing of the New Jersey state bar
- Approx 2-5 years of litigation experience; Insurance Defense, Personal Injury Protection Benefits litigation and/or Subrogation strongly preferred
- Trial and/or PIP Arbitration experience is preferred
- Flexibility to work across several disciplines that may include Bodily Injury claims, Personal injury Protection matters, SIU and Subrogation
- Proven time management skills including ability to handle multiple cases, prioritize and organize, and establish and meet time lines
- Ability to handle a large caseload and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; strong presentation and collaboration skills including the ability to partner with a variety of internal and external contacts as well as for preparing reports, pleadings, and correspondence, etc.
- Independent worker as well as team player to collaborate and work cohesively with a group of attorneys, paralegals, administrative assistants, supervised by Lead Counsel
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision making skills
- Effective negotiation skills
- Ability to travel to multiple courts in Northern/Central/Southern New Jersey
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft, LexisNexis (preferred), and the Internet
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top