Trial Attorney - Bronx
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Litigation Services Attorney job family is responsible for managing Insurance Defense and Tort Litigation / Disputes work and related issues/matters.
Represents insureds and the Company in the defense of bodily injury and property damage lawsuits, subrogation, and Allstate Financial cases. Prepares for and conducts hearings, trials, arbitrations, mediations, and depositions. Prepares and argues pre and post-trial motions. Assists colleagues in the resolution of calendar conflicts. , Provides counsel to business clients on day to day issues. Monitors and reviews new laws, regulations, and case law; identifies and summarizes relevant issues; collaborates with other areas of L&R department; proactively provides advice and counsel to business unit on the impact of new laws on business; monitors counsel
Allstate’s Staff & Retained Counsel team represents policyholders in claims-related litigation / disputes through staff counsel offices at approximately 77 locations in 35 states and, when appropriate, through the retention of outside law firms around the country. It also represents the Company in a variety of litigation as well. This unit is responsible for leading, coordinating and advancing Allstate’s large nationwide staff counsel organization and the strategic management of the Claims panel of retained outside counsel. This team works closely with our Claim Department as well as the Company’s regions to regularly assess both short and long-term strategic needs, direction and trends.
- Are you an expert litigator with a passion for insurance defense?
- Do you have an interest in being a subject matter expert for a leading insurance carrier’s claims litigation team?
- As Trial Attorney, you will bring your subject matter expertise in claims defense litigation to represent clients who are customers of Allstate Insurance Company, Encompass Insurance Company, and Esurance (“the Company”) in: bodily injury (BI), property damage, no-fault/PIP, special investigations (SIU), arbitration and subrogation cases. You will acquire broad knowledge of the Company and our business lines as well as assert processes, procedures and best practices. You will manage a caseload from end to end by acquiring, compiling and integrating case-related information and legal research, developing and implementing litigation strategies in cooperation with your clients and claims personnel. You will determine litigation tactics and negotiate cases for timely claims resolution.
Represents insured’s of Allstate and the Company in the defense of low to moderate to exposure bodily injury and property damage law suits. Assess liability and damages and develop defenses to allegations for a successful resolution of cases.
Allstate’s Litigation Services team provides legal assistance in connection with large and complex claims cases, and manages controversies arising from the implementation and execution of claims policies and procedures, both before and after litigation has commenced (including appeals). This practice group also assists with insurance coverage disputes by providing legal opinions and managing related litigation. This group also provides training and advice to the claims organization.
- Effectively negotiate settlements including all aspects of liability and damages
- Attend hearings and conduct trials
- Argue motions; take effective depositions of lay and expert witnesses
- Consult with clients and opposing counsel and the judiciary
- Coordinate the case handling with claims personnel
- Complete necessary system documentation
- Assist other attorneys in resolving calendar conflicts
Successful candidates will possess the following experience, skills and attributes:
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) and member in good standing of the New York state bar
- Approx 2-5 years of litigation experience; insurance defense strongly preferred
- Jury trial experience a plus
- Proven time management skills including ability to handle multiple cases, prioritize and organize, and establish and meet time lines
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; strong presentation and collaboration skills including the ability to partner with a variety of internal and external contacts as well as for preparing reports, pleadings, and correspondence, etc.
- Independent worker as well as team player to collaborate and work cohesively with a group of attorneys, paralegals, administrative assistants, supervised by Lead Counsel
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision making skills
- Effective negotiation skills
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft, LexisNexis (preferred), and the Internet
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top