Trial Attorney - Baton Rouge
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Litigation Services Attorney job family is responsible for managing Insurance Defense and Tort Litigation / Disputes work and related issues/matters.
Represents insured's and the Company in the defense of bodily injury and property damage lawsuits, subrogation, and Allstate Financial cases. Prepares for and conducts hearings, trials, arbitrations, mediations, and depositions. Prepares and argues pre and post-trial motions. Assists colleagues in the resolution of calendar conflicts. , Provides counsel to business clients on day to day issues. Monitors and reviews new laws, regulations, and case law; identifies and summarizes relevant issues; collaborates with other areas of L&R department; proactively provides advice and counsel to business unit on the impact of new laws on business; monitors counsel
- Review new file assignments and approve initial pleadings, propounds discovery, and develop strategy
- Contact clients
- Review all documentary evidence
- Prepares witnesses and clients for depositions, arbitrations, mediations and trials including expert witnesses
- Conduct depositions and examinations under oath and prepares summary documents
- Prepare and conduct court appearances (matter management conferences, hearings, status conferences, etc.)
- Conduct settlement/dispositive proceedings (e.g. mediations, arbitrations, etc.)
- Try and/or arbitrate cases
- Prepare motions in limine and summary documents
- Draft post-trial motions
- Prepare for and participate in appeals
- Investigate and pursue subrogation litigation as appropriate
- Core Competencies
- Skills/abilities/experiences in the following areas: legal knowledge, business knowledge, issue management, analytical skills, influencing others (inside and outside the company), coaching and development, self-development, and productivity
- Possesses a Juris doctorate and a license to practice law in Louisiana
- 0-5 years related experience typical
- Computer skills, including MS Office suite, used in or related to the tasks performed
- Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity
- Management & Supervisory Skills
- Budget management skills
- Project management skills
- Able to interact with all levels of personnel
- Utilizes subject matter expertise to coach and guide less experienced team members
Regular, predictable attendance is an essential function of this job.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top