Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Legal Advice and Counseling
- Perform due diligence; gather all relevant facts and documents; collaborate with Law Clerks, Paralegals and/or other Attorneys in due diligence;
- Research and determine applicable and pertinent laws, statutes, regulations, rules, and other legal authority; identify legal issues;
- Monitor and review new laws, regulations, and case law; identify and summarize relevant issues; Collaborate with other areas of L&R department; Proactively provide advice and counsel to business unit on the impact of new laws on business;
- Provide advice and/or legal approval related to company documents, policy, practices, and procedures;
- Support Law & Regulation Department senior management on high level issues.
- Drafting and Negotiation
- Draft, review and / or negotiate basic matters and agreements;
- Draft and / or review routine correspondence and communications;
- Review and revise business cases and supporting documentation.
Business Knowledge and Acumen
- Respond to customer inquiries;
- Gather facts from business partners to understand goals and objectives they intend to achieve from intended action;
- Work with business colleagues to develop and implement change;
- Determine if/how business processes / practices need to be modified and work with business partners to implement change;
- Determine extent of other AOR involvement; Inform other areas of responsibility that may be impacted; Elevate the issue if necessary;
- Recommend and obtain appropriate approval for resolution, if warranted;
- Collaborate and align regarding strategy determination, action planning, and communication with business partners, business units, and other areas of Law & Regulation, as appropriate.
- Project Management
- Manage moderately-complex projects including development of meeting materials, and coordination with mid-level business management and occasional exposure/interaction with senior level business management;
- Provide project management, coordination, and collaboration between legal teams within L&R and with business partners, as appropriate.
- Management of Outside Counsel
- Perform bill/file reviews and perform budget oversight;
- Evaluate and recommend if outside counsel should be retained;
- Retain, supervise, manage, and coordinate work with outside counsel, if applicable.
- Participate in meetings with Law & Regulation Department senior management;
- Interact with mid-level business management, with occasional exposure to senior level business management;
- Participate in relevant external industry groups.
- Location: This position can be located in either Northbrook, IL OR Lincoln, Nebraska
- Skills/abilities/experiences in the following areas: legal knowledge, business knowledge, issue management, analytical skills, influencing others (inside and outside the company), coaching and development, self development, and productivity
- Possesses a juris doctorate and a license to practice law in Illinois (and/or other states as required);
- 3-5 years related experience typical;
- Computer skills, including MS Office suite, used in or related to the tasks performed;
- Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information;
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity.
Management & Supervisory Skills
- Budget management skills;
- Strong project management skills and law firm/vendor management experience;
- Able to interact with all levels of personnel;
- Utilizes subject matter expertise to coach and guide less experienced team members.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top