Sr. Big Data Engineer: Connected Car
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
This role is responsible for the delivery of Big Data solutions to make decisions within the Allstate Connected Car team. This includes the development of new systems for analyzing telematics data from vehicles; the coding & development of advanced analytics solutions to make/optimize business decisions and processes; integrating new tools to improve descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics; and discovery of new technical challenges that can be solved with existing and emerging Big Data hardware and software solutions. This role will also project manage moderately complex projects. This role contributes to the structured and unstructured Big Data / Data Science tools of Allstate from traditional to emerging analytics technologies and methods. There is a strong geospatial component to the work, and some background in geographic information systems, or a desire to learn them, is required.
- Executes complex and occasionally highly complex functional work tracks for the team. Drives the execution of operational/technical objectives for data analytic outputs and business solutions.
- Partners with Allstate Technology teams on Big Data efforts.
- Supports the Connected Car geospatial team in developing and scaling big data solutions in a geospatial context.
- Partners closely with peers in the department to ensure holistic Big Data solutions for our data science community and analytic users.
- Can identify new areas of data, research and big data technology that can solve business problems
- Leverages and uses Big Data best practices / lessons learned to develop technical solutions used for descriptive analytics, ETL, predictive modeling, and prescriptive "real time decisions" analytics
- Influences within the department on the effectiveness of Big Data systems to solve their business problems
- Is recognized as an expert in Big Data and is influential within the department.
- Develops technical solutions using Big Data techniques in data & analytics processes.
- Supports Innovation; regularly provides new ideas to help people, process, and technology that interact with analytic ecosystem.
- Develops and builds frameworks/prototypes that integrate big data and advanced analytics to make business decisions.
- Helps implement new areas of Big Data technologies, (ingestion, processing, distribution) and research delivery methods that can solve business problems.
- Understands the Big Data related problems and requirements to identify the optimal technical approach.
- Works with key team members to ensure efforts within owned tracks of work will meet their needs.
- Drives multiple tracks of moderately complex and occasionally complex work within the research group.
- Identifies and develops Big Data sources & techniques to solve business problems.
- Co-mingles data sources to lead work on data and problems across departments to drive improved business & technical results through designing, building, and partnering to implement models.
- Manages various Big Data analytic tool development projects with midsize teams.
- Executes on Big Data requests to improve the accuracy, quality, completeness, speed of data, and decisions made from Big Data analysis.
- Uses, learns, teaches, and supports a wide variety of Big Data and Data Science tools and programming languages to achieve results (i.e., R, ETL Tools, Hadoop, and others) (i.e. Python, Pyspark, Java, C#, and Perl)
- The development and execution of a communication strategy that keeps all relevant stakeholders informed and provides an opportunity to influence the direction of the work.
- Helps select and develop team members.
- 3 - 4 Years of experience or equivalent skills & ability
- Master's or PhD preferred in a quantitative or scientific field such as computer science, computer engineering or equivocal experience
- Experience in using software development to drive data science & analytic efforts
- Big Data and Data Science tools to achieve results (i.e., database and ETL technologies, R, Hadoop, and others).
- Experience with various data types (e.g. Relational, Unstructured, Hierarchical, Linked "Graph" Data)
- Experience in developing, managing, and manipulating large, complex datasets
- Experience in working with statistical software such as SAS, SPSS, MatLab, R, CART, etc.
- Proven ability to code and develop prototypes in languages such as Pyspark, Python, Perl, Java, C, R, SQL, XSLT. Environment is Pyspark.
- Experience in software for the support of geospatial analysis (such as ArcGIS or Magellan) a plus
- Ability to communicate and present advanced technical topics to general audiences
- Leading project teams of various skills levels
- Understanding of predictive modeling techniques a plus
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top