Solutions Engineer (hybrid or remote)
- Belfast, United Kingdom
The world isn't standing still, and neither is Allstate. We're moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers' evolving needs. That's why now is an exciting time to join our team. You'll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You'll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards - a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Allstate operate a very flexible hybrid working policy that will allow you to design your working week in collaboration with your manager with a blend of remote and office working for NI based employees as well as condensed working patterns (4 day week/9 day fortnight). Employees based in GB will be employed on a permanent remote working contract.
Join our team and you'll find challenge and reward in a culture of innovation, support and balance.
Belfast/ Derry - Londonderry/ Strabane/ Remote UK
Your role in the team
The Data & Intelligent Systems (D&IS) group within Allstate is a world-class technology organization focused on enabling Allstate to become a leader in the technology and data space. The data and analytics strategy at Allstate continues to rapidly evolve, with an increasing focus on unstructured data. As we move to create a deeper connection with the "connected consumer," unstructured data derived from devices, vehicles, wearables and systems will be essential to enabling an integrated digital enterprise. We welcome you to join our Unstructured Data Platform (UDP) team to and help us unlock the potential of new and nontraditional forms of data.
80% of the world's data is now in unstructured form. This is a chance to be on the bleeding edge of technical innovation- using the latest and greatest technologies to drive business results. Be a part of a team building out a highly-scalable unstructured data platform which is already processing millions of unstructured objects a day. This role will have high visibility, great potential for growth, and a distinct opportunity to make a major impact within our industry.
As an Unstructured Data Solutions Engineer role you will develop new solutions for analyzing / processing / enriching unstructured content; integrate advanced analytics solutions to optimize business decisions and processes by analyzing various forms of unstructured data sets like images, voice and video; and address new technical challenges using existing and emerging technology solutions. We can consider strong Solutions Engineers with or without unstructured data background.
- Design and implement a centralized Unstructured data management ecosystem to collect, analyze, store, protect and govern Unstructured data for the enterprise.
- Build a scalable platform for the evolving needs to support Allstate's Unstructured Data Strategy.
- Identify and utilize new and emerging technologies to define comprehensive, sustainable, extensible architecture to meet defined business needs, including cloud or on-premises solutions
- Design and establish governance and data management frameworks for Unstructured data.
- Provide recommendations on implementation of organization wide processes and procedures for the management of data risk especially if the solution is based on a public cloud services.
- Coordinate with Network and Infrastructure teams to design systems that can scale to the operational needs of handling large volumes of Unstructured data
- Define strategies to Investigate, evaluate, interpret and classify Unstructured data in order to define and clarify information structures which describe the relationships between the Unstructured content and its associated metadata.
- Evaluate technologies & implement solutions that enable the capture, publication and governance of business and system metadata, including lineage and traceability
- Partners with other internal teams and peers in the department to ensure solutions meet the holistic needs of various stakeholders.
- Executes on initiatives to improve the accuracy, security, quality, completeness, speed of data, and decisions made from Big Data analysis.
- Leverages and uses best practices to develop technical solutions used for handling of Unstructured data.
- Supports Innovation; regularly provides new ideas to help people, process, and technology that interact with data ecosystem.
- Develop and builds frameworks/prototypes that integrate Unstructured data and advanced analytics to make better business decisions.
- Supports a clear communication strategy that keeps all relevant stakeholders informed and provides an opportunity to influence the direction of the work
- Trains and develops other engineers.
- All candidates must evidence an existing right to work in the UK
- A minimum of 5 years software development experience
- Experience in architecting / designing software products to drive data & analytic efforts using Java / python as the programming language.
- Experience of working with Frameworks, for example: Micro Service, Spring boot, Spring Cloud, Spring Integration, Hibernate
- Experience of working with databases - Oracle or NoSQL DB (such as MongoDB
- Experience managing Unstructured data, developing, managing, and manipulating large, complex datasets
- Experience with metadata management & ETL frameworks
- Experience with various data types (e.g. Unstructured, Hierarchical, Relational, Linked "Graph" Data)Understanding of security risks and vulnerabilities, leveraging tools and techniques to minimize risk.
- Experience building event-driven architecture patterns using eventing / streaming frameworks such as JMS, Kafka, Kinesis
- Experience/Knowledge of Object storage technologies
- Ability to communicate and present advanced technical topics to general audiences.
- Leading project teams of various skills levels from a Technical perspective
- Automation, Configuration Management (e.g. Ansible, Puppet), Dev-ops practices, CI/CD frameworks (e.g. Jenkins).
- Elementary networking skills, switching, routing, firewalls, load balancing.
- Linux Containers / Docker / Kubernetes.
- AWS Knowledge - Lambda, API Gateway, EC2, Step Function, AppSync, Dynamo DB, Cloudwatch, EKS.
- Experience / Knowledge of building applications using Public / Private cloud infrastructure
As Digital DNA's Workplace of the Year 2020 winners, we offer a generous benefits package that includes flexible annual leave entitlement, dental and healthcare insurance, an attractive pension package and discounts on gym memberships, public transport and parking.
Allstate invests heavily in your development, as an employee you will have access to multiple world-class learning platforms and courses from our award-winning in-house Learning & Development team.
We pride ourselves in providing clear career paths and opportunities for internal mobility allowing you to further develop within the organisation.
We encourage a better work life balance and you'll have the opportunity to apply for various flexible working arrangements.
Statement on Fair Employment and Equal Opportunities
Allstate NI wishes to ensure equal opportunity is given to all job applicants. This company will not discriminate on the grounds of race, gender (including gender reassignment status), sexual orientation, religious belief, political opinion, marital status, age or disability.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. However, as women are currently under-represented in our workforce, we would particularly welcome applications from women. All appointments will be made on merit.
Applicants should note Allstate NI complete AccessNI background checks on all candidates offered a position.
The closing date for receipt of applications is Tuesday 28th September
Back to top