Software Engineering Manager
- Charlotte, NC
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Are you passionate about creating amazing experiences for developers?
Allstate's Systems Engineering group is focused on creating products for our global developer community by designing and delivering frictionless creator experiences helping product teams move at the speed of ideas.
We're looking for an experienced Software Engineering Manager to lead our Marketplace product. Marketplace provides complete automated provisioning and setup capabilities for our next generation platforms and infrastructure. Help product teams start iterating at the speed of their ideas!
As a Systems Engineer Software Engineering Manager you will lead a technical product contributing to developer innovation for the company. This extends from improving the experience of existing products to developing new products with a strategic product vision. The Software Engineer Manager selects, leads, counsels, motivates, sets expectations and evaluates medium to large teams. This person also assists in defining, implementing and prioritizing IT policies, procedures, and best practices. The Software Engineer Manager influences team and business results. This role will require 50% or more of an individual's time dedicated to hands-on software engineering tasks with the remainder of time spent in team management and oversight.
• Builds long-term relationships within team and amongst peers by creating an environment of safety and innovation
o Champions open and honest communication
o Respects confidentiality
o Leads by example with integrity
o Welcomes new ideas, learns from successes and failures
• Models and creates an environment of accountability for direct reports and peers
o Establishes vision, direction, and specific objectives for team efforts; allows freedom to accomplish objectives
o Collects staff performance data against desired outcomes and service level agreements
• Executes HR-related processes and develops staff through coaching and mentoring and providing specific, timely, open, honest, and constructive performance feedback.
• Leads employees and influences peers through change by using one's self as an example.
General Management & Decision Making
• Sets and executes team strategy, including objectives, plans and policies for area of responsibility to develop and deliver innovative solutions and systems in support of Enterprise goals. Communicates strategy to the team so they understand their role in achieving the established goals.
• Participate in product scoping, discovery and framing, and inceptions providing technical input and helps translate user features into system design
• Leads and participates in inceptions and iteration planning meetings, infusing backlogs with technical input working in close partnership with the product manager
• Leads and participates in daily site, cross-site, and product team standups
• Leads and participates in retrospectives; demonstrating and encouraging each participant to provide feedback with empathy
• Leads the effort of shaping the architecture and design of the product
• Leads collaboration and strategy alignment across product portfolios (cross-product) in partnership with product managers, other peers and key stakeholders
• Serves as an expert on multiple business domain and a distinguished advocate of multiple technology stacks and shares that knowledge across organizations
• Serves as the anchor of the team and practices technical leadership; helping guide the team in choosing the right technology, solving technical problems, and resolving any technical conflicts within the team
• Coaches the team and leads daily practices of using paired programming and test-driven development in writing software and building products
• Establishes continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment pipelines and practices
• Leads and participates in knowledge sharing and contributes to the overall growth of the collective knowledge of the CompoZed Labs community.
• A college degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or similar field, including a solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals
• 7+ years of developing and implementing systems at scale
• 5+ years people or technical leadership or equivalent experience leading a team
• Strong understanding of computer science concepts, object-oriented design principles
• Strong understanding of distributed systems, operating systems, networking, databases, security, and analytics
• Hands on experience and accountability architecting, designing, implementing and delivering large scale distributed systems and/or applications for the cloud, including microservices architectures and 12-factor principles
• Experience and knowledge in developing REST APIs including tooling for documentation (swagger, REST-docs, openapi spec), versioning, service discovery/registration, testing and management; experience using API gateways a plus
• Experience and knowledge in web and API security including authentication, authorization, OAuth, OWASP, OpenID, and SAML
• Experience in backend development design and implementation; database (relational, NoSQL, caching), messaging and big data development, implementation and optimization
• Actual experience developing continuous integration, continuous delivery and continuous deployment pipelines for distributed apps
• Knowledge and advanced experience using distributed version control systems (git), artifact management systems, build and packaging systems (maven, gradle, npm, artifactory, etc...) and continuous integration tools (Jenkins, TravisCI, Concourse, Bamboo, GoCD).
• Knowledge and experience on approaches and tools for automated testing and monitoring
• Actual experience working in an eXtreme Programming (XP) or agile environment; experienced working in a paired programming/engineering model
• Experience in Test Driven Development; including knowledge and experience in testing frameworks like JUnit, Mockito, jasmine, protractor, cucumber, and other like technologies
• Able to lead agile teams and lead collaboration across teams; serving as an anchor or technical lead for complex distributed systems spanning multiple apps, services, APIs, and datastores
• Actual experience and familiarity with open source software
• Able to learn new technologies, and teach other members of the team/s
• Able to work effectively across organizational and geographical boundaries
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the "EEO is the Law" poster click "here". This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click "here". This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company's policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee's ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.
Back to top