Software Engineer Senior Consultant
- Charlotte, NC
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Are you passionate about creating amazing experiences for developers?
Allstate's Systems Engineering group is focused on creating products for our global developer community by designing and delivering frictionless creator experiences helping product teams move at the speed of ideas.
We're looking for an experienced Software Engineer Senior Consultant II to join our API Central product. API Central is a platform that enables frictionless publication and consumption of APIs and connects the internal ecosystem of Allstate developers who are building internal API solutions, to other developers who are looking to leverage or integrate solutions to drive business outcomes.
As a Software Engineer Senior Consultant II you will contribute to developer innovation for the company. This extends from improving the experience of existing products to developing new products for the unit along with the strategic product vision. The Software Engineer Senior Consultant II serves as a member of a product team. You will practice and champion the agile methodology and a product mindset within each product team. You will leverage test driven development and continuous integration to ensure agility and quality of products. You will actively participate in the decision-making process of the team ensuring that the simplest appropriate technology and design is chosen to meet user needs.
- Participates in iteration planning meetings ensuring that the team has a common understanding of each story and chores in a team's backlog
- Leads and participates in daily site, cross-site, and product team standups
- Participates in retrospectives to gather feedback and derive actionable items to improve the team and the product
- Participates in executing the strategy, keeping the customer needs and wants in mind
- Serves as an expert on a specific business domain and demonstrates leadership and accountability on at least one technology stack
- Provides input into the architecture and design of the product; collaborating with the team in solving problems the right way
- Practices daily paired programming and test-driven development in writing software and building product
- Establishes continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment pipelines and practices
- Provides support for software products in user environments
- Coaches more junior team members around different technologies and XP practices
- Participates in knowledge sharing and contributes to the overall growth of the collective knowledge of the team.
- A college degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or similar field, including a solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals
- 3+ years of developing and implementing systems at scale
- Strong understanding of computer science concepts, object-oriented design principles
- Basic understanding of distributed systems, operating systems, networking, databases, security, and analytics
- Experience in backend development design and implementation; database (relational, NoSQL, caching), messaging and big data development, implementation and optimization
- Actual experience developing continuous integration, continuous delivery and continuous deployment pipelines for distributed apps
- Knowledge and experience on approaches and tools for automated testing and monitoring
- Experience in Test Driven Development; including knowledge and experience in testing frameworks like JUnit, Mockito, jasmine, protractor, cucumber, and other like technologies
- Able to learn new technologies, and teach other members of the team/s
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the "EEO is the Law" poster click "here". This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click "here". This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company's policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee's ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.
Back to top