Small Business Insurance Underwriter
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Job Family Summary
The Underwriting team is responsible for providing underwriting support and direction to the sales management team and their marketing forces for the purpose of improving growth and profit opportunities for new and in-force commercial lines of insurance within assigned territories. The team performs various responsibilities centered on quality, communication and policy evaluation all in support of developing and maintaining a profitable book of business within the territories.
The Underwriting Consultant provides underwriting support and direction to sales management and their marketing forces for the purpose of improving growth and profit opportunities for new and in-force commercial lines of insurance within assigned territories. The Consultant builds and maintains agency relationships for the common purpose of providing extraordinary customer relationships, while profitably growing a multi-line book of business. The Consultant performs in a technical leadership capacity, assisting underwriting management in research/development and training. Additionally, the role participates in quality reviews, problem solving, and other discussions, with appropriate input and solution-oriented goals.
Develop and Maintain a Profitable Book of Business
- Reviews, analyzes, and prepares quotes, new business, endorsements, and renewals, within referral guidelines for position
- Prepares recommendations on referral files outside of authority
- Tracks and analyzes performance and profitability trends within territory
Support Quality, Production, and Service Level Agreement Goals
- Work is within set parameters of quality and production standards, as applicable, and within agreed upon Service Level Agreements and state regulations
- Works with team to perform quality reviews, production trends, and adherence to Service Level Agreement goals; makes recommendations for improvements
- Effectively communicates additional information needs, analysis process within eligibility guidelines, and decisions, to sales producers and management
- Instructions are clear and within Best Practice adopted by organization
- Answers complex inquiries and complaints regarding interpretation of policy, procedures, rules, and regulations
- Assists team members to understand and apply basic policies, procedures, and theories
Assists in Formulation of Plans, Programs, Policies, and Procedures
- Works with team to review plans, programs, policies, and procedures to evaluate current results, identify opportunity areas, and contributes to the formation of actions plans
- Identifies unprofitable and problem risks/accounts and producers
- Confers with agents/customers/field management/underwriting management regarding underwriting concerns
- File documentation is clear and within Best Practice adopted by organization
- Prepares complex reports, proposals, and/or presentations
- 5 years underwriting experience
- College degree
General knowledge of:
- Company organization, structure, operations, objectives, and performance
- Insurance industry rules, regulations, and legal requirements
- Familiarity of assigned territory, including competitive position and marketplace
Advanced knowledge of:
- Computer programs such as Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Multi-line products
- Physical, financial, and motor vehicle records reports
- All rating plans
- Financial/business/hazard/premium analysis
- All underwriting/rating systems
Advanced Working Skill/Ability
- Strong written and oral communication, including presentations
- Assimilate information and make decisions
- Ability to make recommendations to guidelines, processes, and procedures to positively affect the top and bottom line of the organization
- Ability to implement recommendations, once approved, with minimal supervision
- Resolve conflicts and solve problems
- Use of tact/empathy/influence in dealing with agents, co-workers, etc.
- Ability to represent company vision and strategies to multiple audiences
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top