SIU Attorney - Brooklyn
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate's Staff & Retained Counsel team represents policyholders in claims-related litigation/disputes through staff counsel offices at approximately 78 locations in 33 states and, when appropriate, through the retention of outside law firms around the country. It also represents the Company in a variety of litigation as well. This unit is responsible for leading, coordinating and advancing Allstate's large nationwide staff counsel organization and the strategic management of the Claims panel of retained outside counsel. This team works closely with our Claim Department as well as the Company's regions to regularly assess both short and long-term strategic needs, direction and trends.
Represent insured's of Allstate and the Company in the defense of low to moderate to exposure bodily injury and Property damage lawsuits. Assess liability and damages and develop defenses to allegations and/or pursuit of Subrogation for a successful resolution of cases.
- Effectively negotiate settlements including all aspects of liability and damages
- Attend hearings and conduct trials
- Argue motions; take effective depositions of lay and expert witnesses
- Consult with clients, opposing counsel and the judiciary
- Coordinate the case handling with claims personnel
- Complete necessary system documentation
- Assist other attorneys in resolving calendar conflicts
Qualifications and Physical Requirements
- Juris Doctorate degree and member in good standing of New York State Bar
- Up to five years Insurance Defense, Subrogation and/or Personal Injury litigation experience
- Trial and/or Arbitration experience is preferred, with flexibility to work across several disciplines that may include SIU, PIP, UM and Subrogation.
- No Fault and/or SIU experience is a plus.
- Computer skills required; experience with Microsoft Office, Lexis, and the internet
- Ability to work well with others on a team of attorneys, paralegals, administrative assistants, supervised by an attorney Lead Counsel
- Must be able to handle a large caseload
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills are key to working with a variety of internal and external contacts as well as for preparing reports, pleadings, and correspondence, collaborating with others, etc.
- Will work independently as well as part of a cohesive team.
- Ability to travel. Driving at least 40-50 miles daily depending on the activities being covered, court, doctors' depositions, discovery depositions, and case evaluations, etc.
- Periodically lifting in excess of 20 pounds throughout the day, depending on court matters being handled.
- Attorneys are required to cover court matters for each other; attorneys have laptops.
- Bending to pick up the computer bag which sometimes is more than 20 pounds, entering and exiting a vehicle, maneuvering files and computer at security checkpoints
- Turning and twisting at work
- Sitting for prolonged periods of time en route to court, in court or at court proceedings, depositions, etc.
- Walking and rolling briefcase with files from vehicle to the legal proceeding and/or deposition and facilitations, etc.
- Trial preparation could require lifting in excess 20 lbs. because of exhibits, materials, records from plaintiff, etc. These materials are printed for some proceedings.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top