Senior Portfolio Manager, Data & Analytics
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Quantitative Research and Analytics//Data and Analytics Strategy team is accountable for leading the enterprise in building a competitive advantage with data and analytics. The leadership team is charged with development and execution of the enterprise data strategy and predictive analytics-based solutions across the enterprise.
The QR&A/DAS Portfolio and Operations Management team is responsible for enabling leaders, teams, and employees within the department to focus on the business of predictive analytics. We do this by providing consistent, timely and relevant foundational support in the areas of portfolio management, expense/infrastructure management, communication, and talent enablement which spans across all areas of QR&A/DAS. Leaders within this team are accountable for meeting business goals through the use of teams that vary in size depending on the scale and complexity of the business need. This job family works with various stakeholders throughout the enterprise to develop effective relationships to support business goals.
The Senior Portfolio Manager leads the execution and governance oversight of the portfolio of work designed to achieve department commitments. The leader will be responsible for integrating both traditional project management and Agile methodologies into a comprehensive approach suitable for successful execution in a research environment. In addition, the leader will be responsible for managing the enterprise governance processes required for the funded Allstate Technology & Strategic Ventures (ATSV) discretionary portfolio. The role requires effective management of a matrixed team, strong partnership with ATSV, successful navigation through organizational change, delivery of business results by working across the organization and development of employees.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive approach for blending traditional project management and Agile practices suitable for successful execution in a research environment.
- Work with department leaders, Strategic Operations and other governance bodies to ensure compliance with enterprise portfolio requirements
- Represent the department on the Co-PLT (Coordinating Organization of the Portfolio Leadership Team) and other leadership teams
- Ensure successful execution of funded ATSV discretionary portfolio work and analytics projects through the leadership of a team of project managers and product owners/managers
- Develop and lead a team of employees with diverse skills, responsibilities and career paths
- Influence and lead adoption of portfolio governance practices among department leaders and teams
- Provide effective, real-time performance management feedback, coaching and mentoring
- Consistently demonstrate influential leadership and leads by example when handling ambiguous and difficult situations
- Provide and communicate strategic vision and provides line of sight between their work and Allstate strategies
- Leverage corporate-wide network of contacts to manage complex issues and to advance the work of the department
- Partner with others in their organization to set and manage expectations; continually seek opportunities to be a thought partner and to increase internal business partner satisfaction
- Exhibit advanced discipline and insurance knowledge, working knowledge of all teams (business, technology, etc.), through product and process recommendations
- Effectively navigate across Allstate Personal Lines and Shared Services
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience: 10 + years’ experience with increasing responsibility; prior insurance experience preferred
- Familiarity with project management methodologies including waterfall and Agile
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Advanced decision making skills
- Advanced communication skills (written and verbal)
- Advanced time, organizational and project management skills
- Advanced negotiation skills
- Advanced conflict resolution skills
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top