Senior Data Scientist - Model Validation
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Data Discovery and Decision Science (D3) is the research and analytics organization at Allstate. We are solving some of today's most complicated analytics problems by incorporating techniques across many disciplines – including mathematics/statistics, computer programming, data engineering and ETL, software development, and high performance computing – with traditional business expertise to extract meaning from data and optimize business decisions. As a Sr. Data Scientist, Model Validation that means using your expertise in several of these disciplines to assure the quality of insights generated by predictive models and new machine learning techniques across a broad range of datasets and business challenges. You will be part of making the lives of our Allstate colleagues easier and more productive, generating new opportunities for profitable market share growth, and driving our mission to deliver perfect insurance solutions to our customers.
In this role, you will be part of an internal model validation team for the D3 department. You will use your experience in machine learning and predictive modeling to support the establishment of a model validation framework and to coordinate peer review teams to validate and enhance critical models and insights for business decision-making. You will also share and spread best practices throughout Allstate's model community and be a liaison to risk management activities across the enterprise. The complexity of projects you will manage within this role will depend on your experience.
- Develop and implement key elements of a flexible analytic validation framework
- Facilitate and drive department peer review teams to execute analytic validation projects
- Review and evaluate appropriateness of analytic techniques and solutions, given current modeling practices and business requirements, and propose alternatives when necessary
- Champion the sharing and adoption of appropriate methodologies and best practices in an analytic environment
- Cultivate cross-functional knowledge-sharing that drives analytic consistency and transparency across Allstate
- Advise department teams on data and business problems to drive improved business results through designing, building, and partnering to implement models
- Utilize effective project planning techniques to break down moderately complex projects into tasks and including appropriate risk management while ensuring deadlines are kept
- Communicate findings to team members, leadership and stakeholders to ensure risks and variations are well understood; recommend appropriate mitigations when necessary
- Use and learn a wide variety of tools and languages to achieve results (e.g., R, Python, Spark, SAS, Hadoop)
- Identify approaches and tools that can bring efficiencies or needed techniques to the team
- Collaborate with the team in order to improve the effectiveness of business decisions through the use of data and machine learning/predictive modeling
- Develop and execute a communication strategy, with appropriate coaching, that keeps all relevant stakeholders informed and provides an opportunity to influence the direction of the work
- Maximize personal professional development to ensure continuation of a personal contribution to the team and Allstate
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, finance or economics, or equivalent experience
- Proven knowledge of advanced statistical modeling and/or machine learning techniques, ability to quickly learn and understand strengths and limitations of new algorithms
- Experience working with modeling tools and techniques such as R, Python, Spark, GLM, Gradient Boosting (GBM/GBT), Natural Language Processing preferred
- Experience working with statistical software such as SAS, SPSS, MatLab, R, CART, etc.
- Understanding of the insurance market place, economics and regulation strongly preferred
- Ability to analyze and interpret moderate to complex concepts
- Prior model validation experience a plus
- Ability to provide written and oral interpretation of highly specialized terms and data and to present this data to audiences with various levels of expertise
- Demonstrated analytic agility
- Ability to organize, facilitate teamwork, inspire trust and build alignment with cross-functional projects
- Ability to develop and/or revise tactics to support changing business strategies and direction
- Proven communication and influence skills taking varying audiences into consideration
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top