Senior Automation Data Scientist
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Quantitative Research and Analytics is responsible for aligning with and contributing to corporate objectives by identifying and developing growth and profitability opportunities that will enable Allstate to generate profitable market share growth. The Data Scientist family is accountable for using data to make decisions, which includes building predictive models and developing new machine learning techniques that enable Allstate to make better decisions to achieve its goals.
This role is responsible for leading a team tasked with automating data and predictive modeling processes. This includes coding/development of tools that use machine learning/predictive modeling to make business decisions; and discovery of new business problems that can be solved through automation. The role will also be accountable for informing the strategy of QR&A, managing highly complex projects and interacting with other Product Operations professionals.
- Develops and builds alignment within Product Operations for frameworks/prototypes that integrate data and machine learning/predictive modeling to make business decisions
- Identifies and develops solutions that use new areas of data, research and models that can solve business problems
- Develops project plans for complex and occasionally highly complex development projects
- Manages data and data requests to improve the accuracy of our data and decisions made from data analysis
- Uses and learns a wide variety of tools and languages to achieve results (e.g., R, SAS, Python, Hadoop)
- Identifies languages and tools that can bring efficiencies or needed techniques to the team
- Leads work on data and problems across departments to drive improved business efficiencies through designing, building, and partnering to automate models
- Effectively understands the business problems and requirements to identify the optimal improvement in business efficiency using automation
- Communicates findings to ensure automated frameworks are well understood and incorporated into business processes
- Utilizes effective project planning techniques to break down complex and occasionally highly complex projects into tasks, manages scope of projects, and ensures deadlines are kept
- Works with stakeholders to ensure the project will meet their needs
- Identifies and develops data sources to solve business problems
- Manages various automation projects with small number of team members
- Reviews, evaluates, and makes recommendations on appropriateness of techniques to senior leadership
- Influences business partners and senior leadership on the effectiveness of automation to solve their business problems
- Trains, develops, and teaches more junior modelers
- The development and execution of a communication strategy that keeps all relevant stakeholders informed and provides an opportunity to influence the direction of the work
- Master’s or PhD preferred in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, finance, or economics
- Demonstrated experience in using statistical modeling and/or machine learning techniques to build models that have driven company decision making
- Demonstrated experience in managing and manipulating large, complex datasets
- Demonstrated experience in working with statistical software such as SAS, SPSS, MatLab, R, CART, etc.
- Functional pricing, rating plan design, and insurance regulation knowledge, with working knowledge of personal lines underwriting and product offerings preferred
- Understanding of the Insurance market place, economics and regulation preferred
- Proven ability to code and develop prototypes in languages such as Python, Perl, Java, C
- Proven knowledge of advanced modeling technique
- Ability to analyze and interpret moderate to complex concepts
- Ability to provide written and oral interpretation of highly specialized terms and data, and ability to present this data to others with different levels of expertise
- Ability to lead a project team of various skills levels
- Ability to manage a wide range of loosely defined moderate to complex situations, which require application of creativity and originality, where guidance and counsel may be unavailable
- Proven knowledge and experience of the Hadoop ecosystem (Pyspark, Hive, Impala, HUE).
- Proven knowledge of software engineering and ability to work with tools such as Cron and Jenkins.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top