Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Scrum Master is responsible for participating in the successful delivery of large to enterprise scale projects and/or programs by ensuring the proper execution of the activities and tasks associated with the project and/or programs. The Scrum Master works with the Program Manager and/or relevant functional Managers to provide direction, guidance, and oversight to project team members.
The Scrum Master is accountable for ensuring that projects are properly executed according to the guidelines established by the Program Manager and Allstate Program and Project Management methods and principles.
The Scrum Master should also be adept in modifying approaches to managing agile, XP, waterfall and SDLC methods in order to align with the PMO and Allstate culture.
The Scrum Master provides direction, guidance, and oversight to a cross-functional business and technical scrum team assigned to the projects.
Following the Agile Values and Principles, the Scrum Master is responsible for leading teams and following the Scrum framework. The Scrum Master's main focus is to lead, motivate, and remove barriers for the team. The Scrum Master will work with the Program Manager to determine necessary status reporting and support for managing the Scrum team.
The Scrum Master provides overall leadership and direction of all Scrum participants on a given project acting as the front-line contact with the Program Manager and functional Managers on project related issues, responding to concerns with clear and concise feedback, and providing formal status reports.
- Provides input on the determination of program scope, resource requirements, skill requirements, project milestones, budgets, and risks per Allstate standard methods and practices.
- Monitors and documents program status; anticipates problems and resolves them or escalates them to the appropriate level of management for resolution in order to ensure proper project completion within schedule and budget constraints.
- Identifies and removes barriers that may impede successful completion of the project.
- Coordinates project closeout and transfer of ownership activities for program deliverables upon formal acceptance by program sponsor(s).
- Works with the Program Manager to refine and enhance project planning, executing, and controlling methodologies and processes.
- Supports project management as a discipline, contributing to development of project management standards and standards and policies as relevant to the overall program.
- Coordinates and organizes sprint team backlog and future release roadmap based on key dependencies and logical sequence of code development and works with the Program Manager and functional managers to secure approval.
- Acts as a Scrum Master for a cross-functional business and technical team and matrixes organization, along with potential 3rd party Vendors.
- Functions as the primary liaison between the project team, Program Manager, functional manager and others as determined.
- Provides project management controls, project plans, timeline schedules, facilitate – including sprint team backlog and burn downs.
- As a member of the PMO, the individual is expected to lead and drive business value by operating in ambiguity as the nature of the work dictates. This can involve adding value as an Agile Scrum master, supporting XP development and integrating with waterfall methods.
- Fosters better communication between team members and is able to communicate team member challenges to Program Manager.
- Ability to manage mission critical risk across the organization. Understands techniques to identify and manage risk impact and exposure. Lead continuous improvement initiatives as opportunity arises.
- Understands complex and conceptual business issues.
5-10 year's experience with project and/or program management concepts and practices
Resource willing to be flexible and adept in a fast paced environment and can contribute to the overall development and growth of a corporate program/initiative.
Experienced with group and meeting facilitation as well as conflict management techniques.
Some experience with financial and earned value analysis concepts, tools, and techniques.
Experience with Critical Path Diagramming & PERT Analysis concepts, tools, and techniques.
Experience with Agile tools preferred – story grooming, tasks management, story burn down, story backlog management. Experience with JIRA/Greenhopper tool a plus.
Certified Scrum Master (CSM) preferred
Experience with Microsoft Desktop Software – Project, Windows, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Project Server experience a plus.
Management of project budget/financials $2M
Proven 3 years working knowledge and practitioner expertise of Agile Values and Principles and Scrum methodology.
Demonstrate track record in delivering complex projects and/or programs with a strong focus on execution
Strong written/verbal communication and facilitation skills for communicating at all levels; including strong presentation skills
Demonstrate strong skills in team leadership and conflict management
Strong people oversight and mentoring skills
Strong consultative, customer focus skills
Excellent written, verbal, and electronic communication skills. Interacts effectively with teammates and business partners; makes persuasive and informative presentations;
Is able to be mentored and serve as a mentor for other team members
Experience with version control and change management processes, policies, and principles.
Experienced with process mapping, analysis, and re-engineering concepts, tools, and techniques.
Experience with one or more Continuous Improvement tools or methodologies.
Experience leading and coaching team members
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top