Reinsurance & Insurance Coverage Senior Attorney
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Specialty Operations Law Practice Group within the Company's Department of Law & Regulation consists of four attorneys and other professionals who provide legal services to the Company regarding ceded and assumed reinsurance business.
- Counseling the Company's division charged with administering discontinued lines of business, which can involve:
- advising on coverage afforded by domestic and international reinsurance agreements, both current and in runoff, assessing coverage for environmental claims on primary policies, and securing coverage for claims covered under government-sponsored indemnification vehicles;
- providing guidance on third party insurance and reinsurance insolvencies and corporate restructuring initiatives, including domestic and international liquidations, schemes of arrangement and portfolio transfers.
- Providing oversight of the arbitration and litigation of disputes involving reinsurance.
- Lead the structuring, negotiating and drafting of reinsurance transactions taking into account applicable regulatory, reporting, and accounting issues.
- Supporting the Government & Industry Relations Group as needed with respect to legislative efforts – state, federal and international – impacting insurance insolvency and reinsurance.
- Possesses a juris doctorate and a license to practice law in Illinois (and/or other states as required).
- 7+ years related experience within a reputable law firm or an in-house legal department for a mid- to large-sized insurance or reinsurance organization.
- Reinsurance experience
- Transactional experience (contracts, trust agreements, etc...)
- Experience with environmental law and asbestos preferred
- Security experience preferred
- Expert legal research and writing skills.
- Experience in analyzing insurance coverage for latent tort claims under property and casualty insurance policies including personal lines, excess and surplus, umbrella and commercial policies.
- Project management skills a plus, including budgeting and managing internal and external resources.
- Microsoft Office skills
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top