P&C Actuarial Intern (Summer 2018)
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Be innovative. Be a leader. Most importantly – be your analytical, actuarial, awesome self.
Allstate is looking for more actuarial leaders, subject matter experts who can drive decisions as Allstate transforms and evolves into the future. An internship at Allstate is the first step. Are you up to the challenge?
An internship is a great way to gain valuable practical experience to jump start your career as an Actuary. Allstate's actuarial internships offer a variety of independent projects, daily coaching and interaction with experienced professionals in a dynamic team environment. Features such as a comprehensive training program and an established mentoring initiative ensure that interns finish the summer prepared and invigorated for their future career. In addition to networking opportunities with a variety of Actuarial and industry professionals, Allstate interns will also enjoy camaraderie with a talented group of peers. The internship experience is so exceptional that in the last three years, over 80% of Allstate actuarial interns who have been offered full employment have accepted the offer to return to Allstate.
As an actuarial intern, you will gain a basic understanding of Allstate's property and casualty business lines. Working closely with experienced analytical professionals, you will be accountable for timely completion of assignments involving auto, homeowners, specialty lines or business insurance, contributing to overall growth and profit goals of major initiatives. This is a summer 2018 internship which begins either 5/21/18 or 6/18/18 and will run for 11 weeks.
- Conducts reviews of rates for assigned states and product lines, analyzing profit and loss results, past and current trends, projecting underwriting losses and reviewing competitiveness of rates
- Completes detailed analyses, makes recommendations, and prepares rate package proposals for key business partners
- Supports the development/design of new plans, programs, processes and products
- Prepares internal and external communications, including interactions with regulatory authorities and management that will describe and support rules and rate changes
- Pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Actuarial Science, Math, Statistics or related field AND be in strong academic standing; must be a full time student the semester following the internship
- Successful completion of one or more actuarial exams
- Standard knowledge in the use of data sources and applications to conduct research
- Can analyze data and review analysis from others and identify and resolve basic data issues
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office: Intermediate – Excel, Intermediate – Word, Beginner – Outlook, Basic - PowerPoint
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively collaborate with multi-disciplinary groups and all organizational levels
- High level organizational and project management skills in order to handle multiple concurrent assignments in a timely manner and to monitor processes throughout a team or department
- Strong decision making skills
- Works effectively in a team environment
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top