Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Allstate Patent Team sits within the Department of Law & Regulation. It provides advice and counsel regarding how to best protect Allstate innovation, and is responsible for patent prosecution, litigation, counseling, enforcement, and advising on transactional matters. The team interacts with outside entities, external counsel, and clients across the organization to capture, protect, and utilize patents in support of Allstate’s business strategies. The team counsels on patent issues including integrating patent considerations into business plans, enterprise patent risk avoidance and mitigation strategies, and strategies for enhancing the scope and strength of our patents portfolio.
The Patent Paralegal will support the Patent Team and assist with its activities. The role may also be called upon to assist other areas within the Department of Law & Regulation.
This position will handle a variety of primarily patent related responsibilities. Key activities will include:
- Managing intake of new matters; enter new matter data and upload new documents.
- Managing data (execute, file, track, and retain) and documents in matter management system.
- Helping to manage relationships with outside counsel, including managing budgets.
- Supporting various patent-related activities, including updating and running reports from IP management software, maintaining patent related records, and supporting patent analysis and litigation.
- Developing working procedures.
- Supporting management and business meetings to provide understanding of how patents can support their business goals and strategy.
- Supporting client educational activities.
- Building and maintaining positive and effective client and peer relationships including with the business, within the Patent Team, and with other practice groups in the Department of Law and Regulation.
- Conduct, summarize, and analyze complex research; independently determine if additional research is needed.
- Maintain records in accordance with records retention requirements.
- Proactively identify and summarize relevant issues; continually monitor issues and update Patent Team with recommendations, as appropriate.
- Maintaining familiarity with client’s business and business practices, including knowledge of key client contacts.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree; American Bar Association (ABA) approved Paralegal Certificate preferred.
- 3 – 5 years of related experience within a reputable law firm or in-house legal department for a mid-to-large sized organization.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills; advanced written and oral communication and strong customer service skills; intermediate to advanced facilitation and presentation / presentation development skills; ability to collaborate and interact with all levels of personnel and build strong relationships with business, legal, and technology colleagues.
- Excellent follow-up skills with the ability to organize timelines.
- Strong computer skills, including with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
- Analytical and problem solving skills including the ability to identify, prioritize and solve problems effectively regarding complex matters.
- Ability to work in diverse, multi-office, and long distance environments.
- Budget management skills.
- Advanced project management skills and experience interacting with law firms/vendors preferred.
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- High degree of ethics and integrity.
- Ability to identify inconsistencies in routine work and initiate corrective action within workflow.
- Adapt well to change; able to multi-task and make effective decisions in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment; proactive self-starter who is able to manage his/her time effectively.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top