Oracle Data Developer
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Provide input into designing and developing data structures to support Allstate Roadside Services business analytics needs. As a SQL developer, the job duties include designing tables, developing stored procedures, views and functions, dealing with table joins, queries and indexing. SQL developers work with project managers and businesses analysts, making database enhancements, documenting their code changes, provide progress reports, and perform code reviews and peer feedback.
- Interpret functional requirements and build logical and physical data models using related tools such as Erwin.
- Manage updates to and version control of logical and physical data models.
- Exercise sound communication and interpersonal skills to test logical data designs against requirements. This will often require iterative modeling and validation sessions with IT and business-area co-workers to clarify requirements, react to changes in requirements, and verify completeness and accuracy of the data designs.
- Assist DBAs in the physical construction of relational database tables and multi-dimensional cube structures based upon the logical and physical data models. This will require good collaborative skills.
- Provide expert assistance, guidance, and support to a community of application developers with respect to logical and physical data design.
- Document mapping information between source and target data layouts.
- Provide a pragmatic approach to data model design and architecture in order to ensure a high level of quality in integrity, reliability, extensibility, performance, and maintainability.
- Work with other architects and project teams to facilitate alignment among architecture projects.
- Advise on matters affecting technology, data and information that support business process activities and business strategic goals and objectives.
- Grow position towards development of taxonomies and ontology (similar to high-level data models) to facilitate classification, data exchange, search and retrieval.
- Must have significant expertise on the Oracle Database Platform
- Experience in both transactional and analytical data environment
- Knowledge and experience with database design and optimization
- Reporting tool and query-based reporting skills
- Experience in the design of data load strategies and processes
- Expertise in the preparation of the architecture and design of data integration strategies and the implementation of data stores
- Knowledge of data warehousing and ETL techniques
- Good understanding of distilling data requirements from business requirements
- Able to work with application/technical architect towards creating overall solution architecture
- Excellent understanding of database concepts such as views, stored procedures, constraints, referential integrity
- Excellent knowledge of SQL and performance tuning of queries
- Knowledge and experience with creating test data (with or without automated tool)
- Some understanding of distributed database concepts
- Rudimentary knowledge of database administration (e.g. should be able to perform as development DBA)
- Experience with supporting development and test teams on data/database issues
- Nice to have, but not required is experience with Hadoop (Hive, Spark, Parquet, etc.)
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top