Operational Risk Manager - Data
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
This position can be located out of our offices in Northbrook, IL, Irving, TX, Charlotte, NC and San Francisco, CA.
The Operational Risk Expert serves as the first line of defense for managing key data and security related areas of operational risk at a business Areas of Responsibility (AoR) level. The role is responsible for understanding enterprise level risk and control standards, methods and tools, and applying those standards, methods and tools at a local AoR level in a manner that is consistent, repeatable and embedded seamlessly in day-to-day operations.
Responsible for creating change management plans and roadmaps to deploy new risk and control methods based upon enterprise standards specific to each risk category.
The individual will foster timely communication across their AoR and with enterprise partners, and have the ability to influence business leaders to ensure risk transparency, accountability, and proactive risk mitigation where appropriate.
The role is an individual contributor, will require the ability to complete work through others, and will be responsible for one or more of the following:
- Partnership – Work effectively and efficiently with Corporate Governance and Business Unit Risk Teams
- Provides and receives information related to enterprise governance functions including the Allstate Information Security, Privacy and Data Governance Teams.
- Partners closely with the business unit Risk Management Team to ensure alignment of objectives, use of appropriate risk tools and methodologies and appropriate reporting of risks.
- Cybersecurity – Owns and executes the AoR's Information Security Program and supporting strategy
- Creates heightened awareness and accountability for information security risks within the business AoR.
- Partners with the IT Business Information Security Officer to ensure the AoR's program is aligned with enterprise Information Security Program, Policies and Standards.
- Ensures control standards are deployed at the local AoR level and reports program performance and key risk metrics.
- Leverages the enterprise and AoR's specific Information Security Risk Assessments to establish and monitor the program.
- Privacy – Protect Personally Identifiable Information (PII) used to conduct business operations
- Ensures appropriate mitigation of PII risks in AoR and deploy appropriate controls.
- Creates heightened awareness of PII policies and procedures in AoR, report and remediate incidents or issues.
- Partners with Enterprise Privacy team to advance long term objectives within AoR including PII inventory, role based access and ongoing risk and impact assessments.
- Data Governance – Responsible for the quality and integrity of the AoR's data
- Ensures quality, integrity and understanding of data used to conduct business operations including future strategies.
- Proactively manages and maintains the health of business data elements - both content and metadata.
- Ensures AoR achieves standards of data quality and integrity.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Seven years or more year of experience in risk, audit, data governance, privacy, or an information security related role
- Experience applying audit/risk management methodologies and regulatory requirements pertaining to information security, privacy and/or data governance
- Ability to manage multiple complex priorities and competing agendas without express authority over delivery teams
- Experience translating technical language to business terms
- Project management experience preferred
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and practices across a large, complex business
- Analytical aptitude with an emphasis on investigative, methodical critical questioning and logical thinking; a data-driven decision maker
- Experience communicating with leaders at multiple levels and facilitating team interactions.
- Experience working in a matrix environment and influencing both upward and cross-functionally.
- Experience applying change management practices.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top