NOC Lead VMware Engineer
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
As the technical lead for platform support in the Network Operations Center (NOC), you will provide technical guidance and strategy for the various platforms supported in the NOC. This includes all of the Windows servers, Solaris servers, Linux servers, and VMware servers across the Allstate enterprise. In particular, the position requires someone very experienced with VMware as most Windows and Linux servers are virtualized on VMware. You will be working with a team that is responsible for providing 24*7*365 support for these platforms across the states and offshore locations.
This role also includes the responsibility of making sure that new technologies are operationally ready, meaning that the NOC is able to support them across all shifts and all locations. This includes making sure that all shifts have been trained, alerting has been tested and put in place, that knowledge base articles have been created on how to respond to those alerts, and that documentation has been created and shared.
You will be responsible for analyzing our current operating methods to look for gaps and deficiencies that may provide opportunities for improvement. You will also be responsible for analyzing trends in the industry that may benefit the way in which the NOC monitors platforms and provides support for them. Another component of your role will be developing new capabilities and processes to solve emerging business needs. For instance, representing the NOC platform teams as Allstate explores cloud computing solutions.
You will also work closely with various teams such as Fulfillment, Engineering, and Architecture to ensure that the NOC is able to provide best-in-class support for the platforms it supports. This includes meeting regularly with those teams and representing the NOC in those meetings. You will be an advocate for obtaining any additional training the NOC requires as well as working with the platform engineering teams to update platform builds with recommended operational fixes.
The NOC is rapidly evolving our capabilities, processes, and technologies. You must be willing to think outside of the box and be comfortable taking educated risks to solve problems. You will be a leader in a very challenging, complex, and rewarding organization.
- Expert documentation and analytical skills; documenting processes, policies, and standards
- Expert troubleshooting skills across complex enterprise applications, server, and infrastructure environments
- Expert ability to perform problem management and identify root cause of complex enterprise architectures
- Expert ability to handle escalations from NOC team members and NOC leadership.
- Expert ability to onboard, learn, and adapt to new technologies
- Advanced experience supporting a large VMware ESXi 5.5 and/or VMware ESXi 6.0 server farm, including the ability to understand and troubleshoot HA, DRS, performance, VM snapshots, and storage and networking issues.
- Holds a current VMware Certified Professional – Data Center Virtualization (VCP-DCV) 5.5 or 6.0 certification
- Advanced experience with a variety of server hardware including HP, Cisco UCS, and Dell rack and blade server models
- Moderate to advanced experience supporting HP Virtual Connect technology
- Moderate to advanced experience supporting Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2012
- Moderate to advanced experience supporting various Windows Server technologies such as Failover Clustering and Internet Information Services (IIS)
- Moderate to advanced experience supporting Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5, 6, and 7
- Moderate to advanced experience supporting Solaris 10
- Experience with high available database environments and clustering technology: Microsoft SQl or Oracle
- Experience with scripting in a Windows environment PowerShell, Perl, and Python
- Experience with scripting in an UNIX environment (Bash and/or Korn shell)
- Experience with HP, Dell, Hadoop and/or UCS technologies
- Expert understanding and hands-on experience with Windows registry and Active Directory
- Expert ability to mentor and train others
- Moderate experience reading and writing architecture diagrams
- Moderate experience with ITIL processes such as Incident/Problem/Configuration/Change management.
- Moderate customer handling skills along with extensive hands on skills in defining and creating operational/procedure documents
- Moderate log parsing and analysis skill set
- Moderate knowledge of networking fundamentals (TCP/IP, network layers, Ethernet, ARP, etc.)
- Moderate experience developing server performance reports
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) And / Or
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA)
- Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top