Mainframe Engineer: Communications/Networking
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Mainframe Engineer - Communications/Networking: is the IBM and 3rd party software product technical resource for those software systems. This position incorporates some functions and responsibilities of a Software Architect and Software Specialist. Under general direction of the Lead Engineer, the Senior Software Engineer will evaluate, design, implement, and maintain IBM software, third party software, management systems, computer applications, operating systems and direct software services.
- Primary responsibility for maintaining the VTAM & TCPIP subsystems in a z/OS 2.3 and JES2 software environment.
- Install and/or participate with software management and installation. This would include installation and maintenance utilizing the IBM SMP/E product. It also includes migration with testing and integration.
- Implement and verifies backup and recovery procedures. This would include Business Recovery concerns and associated testing.
- Reviews new features and other changes related to system software and advises
- Technical/Development/Operations groups of issues relevant to reporting, programming, and performance, identifying the need for software upgrades and patches, as appropriate.
- Creates, maintains, and upgrades software systems for development and production environments.
- Monitors system software access, performance, and resource utilization.
- Provides technical leadership to developers on the use of software management system, development and integration tools, and deployment strategies, to include application tuning and guidance in effective use of software features.
- Act as a liaison between application programmers and vendors to report and resolve software problems.
- Work with application programmers to ensure that application problems do not adversely affect production operations.
- Assists with the analysis, design, programming, and implementation of applications that will interface with system software.
- Analyzes requirements and recommends policies, procedures, and standards for software systems.
- Develops and modifies technical documentation to support operations and training.
- Ability to provide 24/7/365 software support. This would include on-call support during off-hours.
- 10+ years of experience with mainframe software management specific to VTAM & TCP IP sub-system and associated software products.
- Experience supporting/leading/training of software management use with little or no direction. This would include all aspects such as logical/physical design, defining, implementing, monitoring, reporting and utilities.
- Actively mentor and guide staff in development of mainframe implementation, testing, and maintaining of VTAM & TCPIP software and related system software skills.
- Monitor VTAM & TCPIP and its components to make recommendations to better utilize resources for optimal performance and cost-effectiveness.
- Ability to install and customize IBM and third-party software using SMP/E & IEBCOPY
- Ability to perform multiple activities simultaneously with minimal supervision.
- Possible travel and variable hours may be required.
- Ability to write/read/debug programs in a batch and online environment.
- Ability to write software exit program(s) and use software utilities as required.
- Solid knowledge of mainframe JCL and utilities.
- Expert knowledge with Disaster Recovery Best Practices
- Expert knowledge of OSA Adapters, IP, VTAM & SSL Traces.
- Expert knowledge of FTPS, SFTP, AT/TLS, XCOM & z/OS Connect
- Expert knowledge of CL Super Session, TN3270 & Enterprise Extender.
- Experience using TSO, ISPF, SDSF, OMEGAMON, IPTRACE, NTSTAT & z/OSMF
- Experience using RACF commands for managing digital certificates & keyrings
- Experience with IP Routing, IP subnet structures, VIPA, DVIPA and hyper-sockets
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the "EEO is the Law" poster click "here". This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click "here". This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company's policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee's ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.
Back to top