Machine Learning Engineer
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Connected Car R&D is dedicated to the continuous extension, enhancement, and improvement of Allstate’s telematics capabilities. Our purpose is to maintain Allstate’s position as an industry-leader in the connected car/telematics field. Become a part of our story.
At Connected Car R&D, you’ll find a collaborative and dynamic team focused on exploring new capabilities and enhancements to current features. The team works in a continuous innovation cycle of ideas, research, testing, and analysis. We work collaboratively with both ‘product teams’ and data scientists in support of Allstate business goals.
As a talented and bold engineer, you love to code, get your hands dirty with raw data, and derive meaningful and actionable insights. You’re an innovative thinker, an expert communicator, and an agile problem solver looking to join an exciting team.
As an ideal candidate, you can learn and adapt quickly and are able to use every tool at your disposal—software, algorithms, statistical models, and beyond—to understand and effectively tackle hard problems. You appreciate the difference between explaining and fitting statistical models, the importance of good metrics, and the tradeoff between exploration and exploitation. You can perceive common structure between superficially unrelated problems, and can use this to build tools, algorithms, and products with superlinear value.
You’re also an individual who….
- Embraces a continuously evolving breadth of projects and goals.
- Dedicates time and interest to learning, teaching, and continuously improving.
- Desires to contribute concretely to design sessions, analytical discussions, and retrospectives.
- Innovates and problem-solves by using new modeling techniques or tools.
- Takes initiative and works efficiently while maintaining a focus on the bigger picture.
- Effectively communicates learnings and findings with others in the team, leadership and department.
- Partners closely with technical and non-technical staff to define user and project requirements.
- Works collaboratively with other team members in pursuit of a common goal.
- Helps define best practices.
This is an opportunity to exercise creativity in an analytical role; our projects take many forms and require a diverse, flexible set of technical skills:
- A BSc in one of the following Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or Physics.
- At least 1 year of hands on applied supervised and unsupervised machine learning experience in a corporate setting.
- Experience working with real world noisy data.
- Solid knowledge of linear algebra and convex optimization techniques.
- Stay informed on the latest machine learning trends and techniques.
- Ability to work closely with others as part of a larger team.
- Ability to both provide input and follow technical direction to solve complex problems.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language Matlab, Python, R, Java, C++
- Proficiency in with at least one of the following relevant machine learning packages Scikit-learn, Weka, R etc…
- Have a passion for all things machine learning.
- PhD, or MSc Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics or related discipline.
- 3+ years, experience in applied supervised and unsupervised machine learning.
- Experience customizing machine learning algorithms to meet a specific need.
- Experience implementing multi-purpose machine learning algorithms
- Experience working with mobile sensor data.
- Experience working with MapReduce, HDFS, Spark.
- Experience in any of the following areas natural language processing, signal processing, deep learning.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top