L&R-Ins Ops Attorney
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
This attorney, reporting to the General Counsel, will provide legal advice and counsel on behalf of Allstate Benefits on moderately complex matters, including but not limited to: federal and state regulatory requirements, contracting, policy administration, privacy, cyber security and information governance, risk management, litigation strategy, and new business initiatives. Among other duties, the individual in this position will be responsible for: providing counsel to business clients on strategic initiatives, emerging issues and risks, and day-to-day moderately complex/moderately sensitive issues; identifying business and legal needs and issues; conducting legal research and preparing and presenting analysis and recommendations; drafting and reviewing documents; negotiating moderately complex matters; serving on project teams as needed to provide legal advice as well as project management, coordination and collaboration between business clients and the legal department; monitoring new laws and regulations; and overseeing defense of the Company in litigation and other disputes with third parties. The successful candidate will have outstanding business and legal judgement and a proven track record of success. The selected candidate will be a strategic business partner and be responsible for supporting Allstate Benefits in reaching its business goals. The candidate must be able to provide thoughtful business advice, counsel, and risk assessment on business and legal issues.
- Legal Advice and Counseling
- Act as a business partner, providing solutions-oriented legal advice that furthers the Company's business strategy
- Perform factual due diligence-gather all relevant facts and documents; collaborate with business partners and other L&R members
- Perform legal research-identify and apply facts to applicable laws, regulations, and other legal authority
- Identify, define and resolve legal issues
- Monitor, review and advise on new laws, regulations and other legal authority for applicability to the Company
- Understand and be able to translate into "plain English" the legal ramifications of varied legal issues (including regulatory requirements) and clearly and succinctly articulate the risks and provide valuable advice and counsel within the context of the Company's broader objectives; collaborate with business partners on developing and implementing compliant processes
- Collaborate with other areas of Law and Regulation (L&R)
- Drafting and Negotiation
- Review, revise, draft, negotiate and advise on moderately complex agreements
- Draft and/or review a wide variety of communications, forms and legal documents, gathering relevant case-related information as appropriate
- Business Knowledge and Acumen
- Gather facts from client and understand goals and objectives client intends to achieve from intended action
- Determine if/how business processes and practices need to be modified and work with business partners to implement change
- Identify and coordinate with other potentially impacted business units and L&R departments
- Recommend and obtain appropriate approval
- Project Management
- Manage moderately-complex projects including development of meeting materials and coordination with senior management
- Provide project management, coordination, and collaboration between legal teams within L&R and business clients
- Proactively communicate and manage expectations with multiple constituencies
- Litigation Management
- Retain and manage outside counsel representing the Company in Federal and state courts throughout the country to include development of trial and settlement strategy, and perform budget oversight
- Oversee discovery, identifying relevant facts, materials, and witnesses to include witness preparation
- Assist business partners with responses to regulatory investigations, examinations and disputes
- Work collaboratively and responsively with business partners at all levels of the Company
- Set a tone of the highest legal and ethical standards of conduct, and possess the poise to achieve highly effective working relationships throughout the Company and externally
- Provide direction to other professional, paraprofessional and support staff in developing solutions to the problems presented
- Participate in relevant external industry groups
- Knowledge/Skills/Abilities/Experience-Candidate should have the following knowledge and/or propensity to learn:
- Knowledge of insurance company operations including product development, claims, pricing, underwriting, marketing, distribution/sales, and claims. Knowledge of group voluntary benefits a plus, but not required.
- Knowledge of the insurance and/or financial services legislative and regulatory schemes as well as the regulatory and legislative environments in which those industries operate
- Thorough understanding of litigation processes and procedures with experience representing clients in civil and/or criminal courts
- Excellent legal research, analytical and communication skills
- Basic understanding of insurance accounting principles
- Other Requisites
- Possesses a bachelor's degree, a juris doctorate and a license to practice law in Florida (or be eligible to provide in-house counsel under Florida Bar Rules)
- 8+ years of professional job-related experience
- Computer skills, including MS Office suite, used in or related to the tasks performed
- Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity
- Management & Supervisory Skills
- Possesses budget management skills and strong project management skills
- Demonstrates an ability to collaborate effectively with others
Is a people builder, able to coach and guide less experienced team members
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top