Lead Software Engineer
Build your career. It's all right here.
We are a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life. Employees can be a force for good only when they are working at the top of their ability, learning new skills and challenging themselves with new responsibilities. Allstate's Enterprise Talent Market was developed with that in mind, to help you reach your full potential.
Allstate is looking for lead software engineers to lead Agile XP development teams in building digital products to support the Allstate Roadside Services strategy. Your team will develop code all day, every day, on a full stack cloud platform using pivotal cloud foundry, leveraging test-driven development and continuous integration/delivery. Your team will work in a highly structured, paired programming environment to enable learning and maximize productivity. You will partner with Product Managers within Allstate Roadside Services to translate our product strategy into highly functional, modular, and high-performance code. This is a tremendous opportunity to lead the creation of next-generation technologies, capabilities, and products to set us apart from the competition. You and your team will be working in our new innovation hub at the Merchandise Mart in downtown Chicago, which will provide the latest in modern equipment, spaces, and tools to help us accomplish this.
Don't miss this opportunity to join a team where your innovative thinking and technology skills can help build digital products that will fundamentally change safety on the roadway.
- You love to code and you're willing to fail fast and iterate to success.
- You're an experienced team lead or senior software engineer ready to step into a lead role
- You're someone who enjoys educating less experienced developers
- You're ready to judge your success by the success of your team and the happiness of your customers.
- You play well with others and have well developed communications skills. This is a paired programming environment so you have to be ready to be part of a team.
- You have experience with Test Driven Development (TDD) and agile methodologies. If you are not interested in truly living in this world, it's not going to work out.
- You are proficient in several programming languages. You will be pairing with developers and need to be able to understand code well enough to ask/answer good questions.
- You have a clear understanding of cloud services, deployment models and distributed systems.
- 8+ years of software development experience (core language: Java) in an Agile environment, utilizing lean/Scrum/XP Programming software development principles
- Development leadership experience - demonstrated leadership of software engineering teams
- Experience with enterprise level, high-availability application development required
- Experience using Test Driven Development (TDD). Must be able to educate less experienced developers on TDD principles and best practices
- 5+ years front end experience (HTML5, CSS3, Less…) (mobile first mentality)
- Use object-oriented design (OOD) patterns for separation of concerns, code reusability, security and performance
- Experience with Spring Boot Frameworks
- Experience in developing clean, well architected code
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux environments
- Comfortable working from the command-line (Bash, Ksh)
- Strong mobile (native apps) experience (Android and/or iOS desired)
- Cloud computing (Cloud Foundry, Azure or AWS)
- Continuous integration and deployment such as Jenkins, Concourse CI and/or Gradle
- Source Control Management (preferably Git/GitHub)
- Strong database skills preferably experience using Oracle or SQL Server.
- Data (SQL or similar query language) and data constructs (XML, JSON)
- Experience developing/consuming Web Services (REST, SOAP, JSON), ETL jobs and APIs (Service-oriented architectures)
- Strong understanding of testing methodologies such as functional, SOA and performance testing.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
Allstate is where good people can build a rewarding career and we provide the resources you need to succeed, both personally and professionally. Our culture and employee programs have also drawn praise from outside organizations like Working Mother magazine, LATINA Style and Black Enterprise. Learn more about the resources, benefits, and programs Allstate has to offer you under the MyWorkLife tab on MyDesktop.
Hear what other Allstaters think. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Please note, to be fully considered for this opportunity you must attach an updated resume to your profile when you apply, and if applicable, include:
- Your updated Allstate position(s) and titles, specific experiences and skills developed
- Committee/subgroup work
- Talent Share opportunities
- Completed programs/coursework
Visit "Managing Your Career" located under MyWorkLife (via MyDesktop) to further enhance your career profile and development goals.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top