Lead Researcher - Advanced Map, Road Safety & Risk Applications
Build your career. It’s all right here.
We are a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life. Employees can be a force for good only when they are working at the top of their ability, learning new skills and challenging themselves with new responsibilities. Allstate’s Enterprise Talent Market was developed with that in mind, to help you reach your full potential.
Allstate is looking to hire researchers to join our Innovation team at our downtown Chicago and Menlo Park(SF Bay area) locations. Our team works on a diverse set of data and systems including GPS probe, Accident data, LiDAR and high-resolution imagery to create driver safety solutions and helps build next-generation road risk assessing platforms.
This is a great opportunity to work with a talented team of some of the world’s leading experts to build solutions that are not only groundbreaking, but also help make driving safer and save lives.
Under leadership of Director of Innovation and Research, the Lead Researcher will develop novel algorithms and techniques that can leverage traditional maps, real time traffic and techniques such as imagery object detection, scene recognition and structure from motion to solve tough problems like Accident avoidance and prediction. He/she will also assist in efforts to evaluate, extract, scrub/prep, analyze and visualize spatial and non-spatial risk data using machine learning and statistical analysis and communicate to various stakeholders across and outside the company.
- Track and apply the latest algorithm improvements from industry and the research community. A strong passion for empirical research is a necessary trait.
- Collaborate in a fast-changing environment and to communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues who range from academic researchers, senior data scientists, Developers, Dev Ops, Hardware engineers, and Product managers.
- Occasionally make presentations on enterprise specific topics at meetings and conferences.
- Prepare and deliver presentations and/or training sessions to share insights from research, software, tools or procedures to internal and external audience
- on a periodic basis.
- Provide oversight to junior level research associates, interns and Co-op employees.
- Master’s degree or PhD in computer science or a highly quantitative discipline.
- Knowledge designing algorithms to support broadcast of rapidly changing, latency-sensitive data.
- Genuinely excited and enthusiastic about learning and pushing technical limits when finding new solutions.
- Data mining analysis languages such as R, Pydata, Sql.
- Familiar with batch processing/real time systems like Flume, Kafka and Akka.
- Proficiency in statistical methods and analysis including a deep understanding of regression techniques.
- Proficiency in database management: create, edit, update, join, append and query data from spatial and non-spatial relational databases.
- Experience with data visualization and graphics tools for the creation of professional presentations reports, web content, or education materials.
- Ability to create and maintain good working relationships and collaborations while being able to work independently and take initiative.
- Completed coursework or knowledge of machine learning techniques, in particular predictive model validation.
- Experience related to ADAS and vehicle systems is a plus.
- Exposure to ArcGIS is a plus
- Experience with data-parallel and/or accelerated computing (CUDA, OpenCL) is a plus.
- Big plus :Working knowledge of machine learning algorithms and software packages (Caffe, Torch, Theano, etc.)
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
Allstate is where good people can build a rewarding career and we provide the resources you need to succeed, both personally and professionally. Our culture and employee programs have also drawn praise from outside organizations like Working Mother magazine, LATINA Style and Black Enterprise. Learn more about the resources, benefits, and programs Allstate has to offer you under the MyWorkLife tab on MyDesktop.
Hear what other Allstaters think. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Please note, to be fully considered for this opportunity you must attach an updated resume to your profile when you apply, and if applicable, include:
- Your updated Allstate position(s) and titles, specific experiences and skills developed
- Committee/subgroup work
- Talent Share opportunities
- Completed programs/coursework
Visit “Managing Your Career” located under MyWorkLife (via MyDesktop) to further enhance your career profile and development goals.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top