Lead Cloud Platform Engineer - Chicago, IL
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate is looking for top Cloud Platform Engineers within ATSV Infrastructure Services. Within IS, the cloud platform engineers are responsible and accountable for the engineering and operation of the Allstate Cloud Platform which is comprised of multiple cloud environments, distributed systems management systems, and application continuous delivery tools and pipeline.
The Cloud Platform Engineer is a full stack engineer who builds the cloud environments and hosting platforms for Allstate. This role will have the primary accountability of owning, developing, implementing and operating Allstate's Cloud platforms. This role will also encompass developing, building, administering, and deploying self-service tools that enable Allstate developers to build, deploy and operate cloud native applications.
- Design, build, manage and operate Allstate's cloud platforms with a focus on automation and infrastructure as code
- Design and build cloud solutions that meet customer needs in automation, monitoring, and DevOps
- Architecting cloud solutions for massive scale, resiliency and maintainability
- Reviewing and managing technical requirements and business functional requirements for enhancing Allstate's cloud platforms
- Designing architecture with various cloud providers that meets technical, security, and business needs for applications, services and workloads
- Actively contribute in team engineering practices around test driven and continuous delivery of infrastructure
- Design, deploy, and operate enterprise-wide, complex cloud infrastructure solutions
- Participates in the development of the strategy and design for the continuous delivery framework and tools, and acts as a subject matter expert on infrastructure CI/CD pipelines
- Design, manage, and operate public cloud services to support Allstate's cloud platforms
- Builds and develops new products and services that provides functions- "as-a-service"
- Write and build continuous delivery pipelines to manage and automate the expansion and lifecycle of the cloud platform
- Evaluate performance trends and expected changes in demand and capacity; and establish the appropriate scalability plans
- Identify and troubleshoot any availability and performance issues within the cloud platforms and applications running on it
- Recommend and maintain technology related policies and procedures
- Two-year degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related area, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of combined application development and infrastructure engineering experience
- Able to mentor team members on the various engineering practices including extreme programming, product mindset, cloud/as-a-service approach, and infrastructure as code
- Hands-on style - willingness and competent in producing necessary changes in our infrastructure and processes.
- Will be working primarily in an Extreme Programming environment and must be willing to work in a paired programming/engineering model
- Able to facilitate diverse teams, multi-task, and work under pressure to meet aggressive schedule targets
- Able to work effectively across organizational and geographical boundaries
- Identify creative solutions for technical support issues
- Able to communicate effectively across groups of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to communicate and present ideas and solutions
- Demonstrable experience designing and implementing complex applications and distributed systems into public cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc…)
- Solid understanding of security and compliance frameworks, standards and implementation in public cloud environments; relevant experience in vulnerability management and security operations in public cloud
- Experience and solid understanding of networking concepts and services like DirectConnect, VPN, IPsec, PKI, TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, SMTP, LDAP, etc…
- Experience in using DSLs/frameworks for managing infrastructure as code like (or similar to) CloudFormation, Terraform, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc…
- Experience in infrastructure programming using languages like Python, Ruby, Go
- Hands on experience using continuous integration/delivery tools like (or similar to) git, Jenkins,
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top