Lead Cloud Platform Engineer
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate is looking for top Platform Engineers (Cloud Platform Engineering) within ATSV Infrastructure Services. Within IS, the platform engineers are responsible and accounting for the engineering and operation of the Allstate CompoZed Platform which is comprised of cloud environments (Cloud Foundry), distributed systems management systems, and application continuous delivery tools and pipeline.
The Platform Engineer is a full stack engineer who builds the cloud application development and hosting platforms for Allstate. This role will have the primary accountability of owning, developing, implementing and operating Allstate's Cloud platforms. This role will also encompass developing, building, administering, and deploying self-service tools that enable Allstate developers to build, deploy and operate cloud native applications.
- Design, builds, manages and operate the infrastructure and configuration of the platform infrastructure and application environments with a focus on automation and infrastructure as code
- Lead a team's engineering practices around test driven and continuous delivery of infrastructure
- Design, build, manage and operate the continuous delivery framework and tools, and acting as a subject matter expert on CI/CD for developer teams
- Design, build, manage and operate the infrastructure as a service layer (hosted and cloud based platforms) that supports the different platform services
- Write and build continuous delivery pipelines to manage and automate the lifecycle of the different platform components
- Develop comprehensive monitoring solutions to provide full visibility to the different platform components using tools and services like Graphite, ELK, Datadog, New Relic and other similar tools
- Develop a log analytics solution to provide logging-as-a-service to hosted applications based on open source solutions
- Integrate different components and develop new services with a focus on open source to allow a minimal friction developer interaction with the platform and application services
- Evaluate performance trends and expected changes in demand and capacity; and establish the appropriate scalability plans
- Identify and troubleshoot any availability and performance issues at multiple layers of deployment, from hardware, operating environment, network and application
- Recommend and maintain technology related policies and procedures
- Provide support for both infrastructure and cloud platform services; and support for different development teams using the platform
- Two-year degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related area, or equivalent work experience
- 5-8 years of combined application development and infrastructure engineering experience
- Able to mentor team members on the various engineering practices including extreme programming, product mindset, cloud/as-a-service approach, and infrastructure as code
- Will be working primarily in an Extreme Programming environment and must be willing to work in a paired programming/engineering model
- Hands on experience working on any of the following technologies - Cloud Foundry, BOSH, docker, runc, Kubernetes, Openshift,
- Experience working on public cloud - AWS, Azure, GCP, and/or experience working on virtualization technologies
- Actual experience doing infrastructure programming using either Golang, Ruby, Python or equivalent
- Knowledge and experience working on infrastructure automation technologies like Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Terraform, Packer
- Experience working on logging, monitoring and alerting for large scale distributed systems or cloud platforms (i.e. Prometheus, Graphite, ELK, Datadog, New Relic, or equivalent)
- Experience working on continuous integration systems like Concourse or Jenkins particularly in deploying and managing infrastructure
- Strong knowledge of infrastructure fundamentals including networking, storage, virtualization, linux administration, etc...
- Able to facilitate diverse teams, multi-task, and work under pressure to meet aggressive schedule targets
- Able to work effectively across organizational and geographical boundaries
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top