Junior Big Data Engineer / Application Developer
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The D3 (Data, Discovery & Decision Science) department is responsible for aligning with and contributing to corporate objectives by identifying and developing growth and profitability opportunities that will enable Allstate to generate profitable market share growth. The Big Data Engineer job family is accountable for end to end engineering of data solutions which includes designing and building systems for data storage and analytics that enable Allstate analysts to make better decisions to achieve Allstate's goals.
This role is responsible for executing tracks of work to deliver Big Data solutions enabling advanced data science and analytics. This includes working with the team on new Big Data systems for analyzing data; the coding & development of advanced analytics solutions to make/optimize business decisions and processes; integrating new tools to improve descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics. This role contributes to the structured and unstructured Big Data / Data Science tools and is responsible for assisting in the selection of other team members.
- Executes moderately complex functional work tracks for the team.
- Partners with the D3 (Data, Discovery & Decision Science) teams on Big Data efforts.
- Partners closely with team members on Big Data solutions for our data science community and analytic users.
- Leverages and uses Big Data best practices / lessons learned to develop technical solutions
- Contributes to the development of moderately complex technical solutions using Big Data techniques in data & analytics processes.
- Develops innovative solutions to Big Data issues and challenges within the team
- Contributes to the development of moderately complex prototypes and department applications that integrate big data and advanced analytics to make business decisions.
- Uses new areas of Big Data technologies, (ingestion, processing, distribution) and research delivery methods that can solve business problems.
- Understands the Big Data related problems and requirements to identify the correct technical approach.
- New Grad or 1-2 years of experience of equivalent skills & ability
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in a quantitative or scientific field such as computer science, computer engineering or equivocal experience.
- Previous software development internship experience preferred
- Understanding of using software development to drive data science & analytic efforts.
- Experience with database & ETL concepts.
- Strong data structures and algorithms exposure through coursework, internship or other avenue
- Experience with various data types (e.g. Relational, Unstructured, Hierarchical, and Linked "Graph" Data).
- Experience in developing, managing, and manipulating complex datasets.
- Mid/high level Java programming through coursework, internship or other avenue
- Experience with other programming languages such as Python, R, C/C++, etc. is preferred
- Ability to communicate and present advanced technical topics to technical audiences.
- A strong skillset in problem solving and collaboration
- Understanding of predictive modeling techniques a plus.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top