Java Platform Manager
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
This exciting role sits within the Java Platform Enterprise Services (JPES) section of the IS (Infrastructure Services) organisation, specifically within the System Engineering group.
The role of the Java Platform Services group is to provide our business partners with cutting edge, enterprise level web application services.
We are pleased to announce a new Manager opening within the JPES area.
This position will have central engineering responsibility across the Allstate Enterprise Java platform, with a strong focus on future strategy for the platform and helping our customers prepare for operating in the cloud.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Delivery Lead/Owner for Java Platforms Enterprise Services team.
- Responsible setting future strategy for the platform via partnerships with our cloud engineering, platform and application architecture teams.
- Ensuring platform availability is maintained to the highest possible standard.
- Working with our customers, including application architects to ensure the highest standard of service.
- Working with Governance and Security in relation to Identity & Access Management
- Coordination with IBM and other platform level vendors.
- This role is both a delivery and leadership position and will have accountability for multiple activities, such as employee hiring, development, performance management, recognition and succession planning
The ideal person will be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
The successful candidate will be enthusiastic, organized and have excellent communication skills. Be a strong leader who will engage and inspire the team and have the ability to work across global teams.
All candidates should also be able to demonstrate a high degree of leadership competence through:
- Ability to self-manage and be highly motivated to deliver results
- Be able to facilitate diverse global teams, multi-task, and work under pressure to meet aggressive schedule targets
- Be able to work effectively across organizational boundaries
- Must be able to influence formally and informally
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented
- Strong leadership and communication skills and the ability to teach others
- Ability to work collaboratively with other business groups and navigate complex decision making
- Ability to collaborate well with engineers, and clients
Essential criteria candidates should clearly state on their application form how they meet each of the essential criteria as these will be assessed during shortlisting and only these deemed to meet all of the below criteria will move forward to the next stage.
- Extensive and deep knowledge of one or more core web application hosting platforms such as IBM WAS, Tomcat, Apache.
- Strong knowledge of infrastructure architecture & associated operational requirements
- Must be available for rotation (if not a promotion); and
- 3 years previous team manager/leadership role experience; or
- 5 years infrastructure experience, with a preference towards web application services.
Desirable Criteria – These criteria may be used where we have a high number of applicants
- Gook working knowledge of agile project delivery.
- Experience working with open source web application servers (Tomee+, Tomcat, Node.JS)
- Experience establishing and building teams to deliver new technology services
- Experience working with & managing SaaS / Cloud solutions
- Good knowledge of Cloud (SaaS) security best practice
- Demonstrable leadership ability, performing all aspects of people management including talent development and performance management
- Experience working in large global organisation &/or financial industry
- 5+ years of infrastructure management experience
- 5+ years people and team management
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Director Of Technology Strategy
Josh is constantly looking for opportunities for Allstate to use technology and computer software in innovative ways that continue to build on the company’s core strengths.
Back to top