Java Application Developer
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The application developer will join a team of technical professionals that work directly with the business to build and enhance scalable solutions used in the rate making process. This is a great opportunity to work with a dynamic team of high energy software developers on new and exciting solutions.
The Data Discovery Decision Science (D3) Team is responsible for providing analytics solutions to our Pricing, Marketing and Underwriting areas. We partner with these areas in creating and sustaining profitable growth through data driven, fact-based decisions. We use advanced analytical techniques to research, design, develop and effectively utilize our products.
The Application Developer develops code for intermediate to complex modules, participates in design reviews, conducts code reviews, creates test plans and participates in testing reviews, and resolves moderate to complex defects. This position designs, documents, reviews, and maintains components of software solutions for intermediate projects.
- Evaluate detailed business, functional, and high-level technical requirements including recovery, security, and audit.
- Design & document detailed technical components with high-level architecture
- Recognize and understand use of design patterns for intermediate applications.
- Apply reusability and future state architectures.
- Participate and provide feedback in design reviews.
- Develop code for intermediate to complex modules, following documentation and development standards.
- Conduct timely structured code reviews to ensure standards and systems interoperability.
- Review and critique team members' code.
- Create and automate accurate test plans, conditions, and data. Participate in testing reviews.
- Conduct basic levels of module and integration testing according to process standards. Track and resolve moderate defects.
- Implement & utilize Continuous Integration and Deployment tools.
- Provide technical assistance.
- Analyze and resolve moderate to complex problems.
- Execute change management activities supporting production deployment to Developers, Quality Control Analysts, and Environment Management personnel.
- Bachelor's or Masters/MBA degree in a field such as Computer Science or Data Architecture
- Demonstrated problem solving (analysis)
- Data structures/algorithms development
- Solid programming skills in Java and/or Python
- Experience developing complex business solutions
- Expertise with Java class libraries and open source packages
- Experience deploying predictive models in a production environment.
- Experience in the following:System/performance engineering (profiling process memory/cpu/io/network usage, system calls, flame graphs)
- Oracle/SQL database development
- Strong unit-testing / test-driven coding style Familiarity with Microservices
- Demonstrated ability to mentor others
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively collaborate with multi-disciplinary groups and all organizational levels
- Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Prototyping Experience
o HTML, CSS
o R, SAS, C#
- Experience in Agile environment or DevOps will be a plus
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please seethe notice regarding the Los Angeles Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Meet Some of Allstate's Employees
Data Analytics Engineer
Patrick supports the work of his fellow Data Scientists by coding predictive models. He works to create functional Allstate products by making sense of the company's vast amount of customer data.
Back to top